multiple recips

Discussion re sg development. You don't have to be a developer.

multiple recips

Postby josh » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:07 am

I've got multiple sg recipients working with a basic test on the test machine (test.spamgourmet.net) -- There are a bunch of tests that still need to be run, I'm sure. The technique was to create an array of recipient addresses and loop through them. There are probably some optimizations that can still be made, too.
josh

Postby josh » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:09 pm

the way I'm doing multiple recipients is to break up the To: list and the CC: list and operate on each unique comma delimited entry (including a "for" recipient if there is one -- this covers BCC, I think)

This works pretty well, but it's starting to look more like a mail server, including the attendant issues -- for instance, not all the addresses in the to and cc list are necessarily "owned" by the server -- many/most of them will be addresses that live somewhere else. The current code is subjecting each of them to sg parsing -- this would result in some false positives when a syntax match exists on a foreign address -- eg, Stephen.F.Austin@example.com would go to the sg user Austin, even though it wasn't referring to sg at all.

So - the code could use a list of local host names and ignore any addresses that aren't covered by it. This would work, but we should realize that a bunch of random people have set up their domains to forward to spamgourmet per the FAQ. Some have told me about it, but others undoubtedly haven't. We'd see an interruption of service for them.

Any other ideas on this?

josh
josh

Postby SysKoll » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:37 am

Josh,

I need a bit of explanations for the concern created by people who forward their domain to sg. Two questions, please.

1. When such a forwarding takes place, can we find anything in the headers that indicates it's a forwarding?

2. Say I am a mailing list admin.. I have, among my subscribers, one person who is john.10.doe@SomeDomain.com. Unbeknownst to me, John Doe owns SomeDomain.com and redirects it to sg.

Now, in this scenario, the SomeDomain.com mail server is going to receive an email from the mailing list. What will that email's To:, cc: and bcc fields contain? Will they contain all the addresses of subscribers in SomeDomail.com (i.e., one)? Or will you also see possibly unrelated email addresses in these fields?

Thanks for the answers.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:28 pm

We talked about this a bit, and so far it looks like the only good way to handle the various recipients is to screen the host names against the list of local host names in spamgourmet.config -- this means that each of them needs to be listed there, and so we'll need to change FAQ (where it says that you don't need to let us know if you wire your domain through sg).
josh

Return to Developers