AddressScrambler release

Discussion re sg development. You don't have to be a developer.

AddressScrambler release

Postby josh » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:52 pm

I just did a 0.5 release of AddressScrambler.

I had pretty much forgotten about it, and now I'm using the Firefox web browser and needed a helper page that would work with it. I wrote one, and then went to check it into cvs...

And I saw Amit's check-ins :oops: -- including a page that was pretty much the same as the one I made. Also, I saw the nearly one-year-old asp.net and java back end components.

Great job Amit! I don't know why that escaped me for so long. I bundled all that stuff up and did a release.
josh

Postby maratheamit » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:35 pm

What are the future plans for AddressScrambler? Are people interested in it? e.g. do we know how often it is downloaded?
maratheamit

Postby josh » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:10 pm

Amit,
You can check the number of times it was downloaded on sourceforge -- it looks like there have been over 1500 downloads, although none for the new release. There were a couple of people following it that got email notices when I did the release, too.

As for plans, you pretty much knocked it out of the park with the different server side code (I guess we still need a perl version :)) -- you're way ahead of me...

We could do a php version and put into this bbs, I suppose. That would be pretty cool.
josh

CSS and Address Scrambler don't mix

Postby dkaufman1 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:01 pm

I am using ver. 0.2.2, but I can't figure out how to get my stylesheets and the AS code to play nicely together.

Basically, I have some email addresses on static pages that I am converting to AS code after being hit with some big SPAM. The email addresses all were formatted with CSS files, but the <span> and <div> tags do not affect the text inside the " 'text' " or the email " 'xxx.xxx@xxxx' " generated by the helper file.

I hope this makes sense.

Simply put, how do you code javascript to use the css formatting tags? An example would be helpful.

Your script is great, and am excited to use it after I solve this problem.
dkaufman1

Postby maratheamit » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:35 am

I have a vague idea of what you might want. Could you post an example to clarify things?
maratheamit

Postby maratheamit » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:36 am

Josh, I also noticed that your latest checkin on the AS.js has clobbered my previous changes. So the javascript is now incompatible with the other files (.java, .aspx etc)

You can see what happened with a cvs diff. I am surprised that your cvs client didn't force you to update to the latest version before allowing you to commit.
maratheamit

Postby dkaufman1 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:36 am

maratheamit wrote:I have a vague idea of what you might want. Could you post an example to clarify things?

Not sure exactly how this would work...but like this maybe...

Code: Select all
<div class="narrowblack">
<script language="JavaScript">writeMailTo('tukl.womjsxbdxytc@dpg','');</script></div>

The CSS can refer to any formatting of text, and is a seperate .css file reference as is the AS.js file. I want the email address and/or text after the "," (comma) to include the CSS text formatting that the email address previously there previously had.

<a href="mailto:info@xxx.com" class="narrowblack">info@xxx.com</a>
dkaufman1

Postby josh » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:24 pm

Amit -- whoops! I'm not sure how that happened. I put up the previous version, hopefully. Is the algorithm different between the two?

dkaufman1,
Can you get to the VSS browsing thing? I think it's

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/s ... rambler.js

you could try cvs version 1.6 (it's not showing up yet). I added a function called writeMailToWithClass that takes in an email address and a class, and hopefully puts it in like you're saying.

I haven't tested it at all :( -- so I'm sure it works, but it's a start.
josh

Postby maratheamit » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:01 pm

Thanks Josh! I was going to implement a function with the same behavious as your writeMailToWithClass. Didn't get around to it till now.

As for the differences between the two versions: yes, the algorithms are different. The changes I made introduced a stronger scrambling algorithm. The new algorithm also ignores all characters not in the set [a-zA-Z@.]. This should avoid bugs like the one where some email addresses where scrambling to strings which contained HTML special characters and thereby messing up the parsing. The new scrambler maps the above character set to itself and hence won't cause such problems.
maratheamit

Postby maratheamit » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:06 pm

I just added a php file to the AddressScrambler directory in cvs.
maratheamit

Postby dkaufman1 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:51 pm

josh wrote:dkaufman1,
Can you get to the VSS browsing thing? I think it's

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/s ... rambler.js

you could try cvs version 1.6 (it's not showing up yet). I added a function called writeMailToWithClass that takes in an email address and a class, and hopefully puts it in like you're saying.

I haven't tested it at all :( -- so I'm sure it works, but it's a start.

This is weird...I replied with a post to this a while back. a) thanking you for the work, as it is working. b) letting you know that when the site is live I would post it here for you to check it out.

Anyway Thanks again, as it is working very nicely.
dkaufman1

Postby maratheamit » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:16 pm

The .js extension confuses some browsers with the result that you are not able to view the CVS history. To get around the problem add a question mark ("?") character at the end of the url.
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/spamgourmet/AddressScrambler/AddressScrambler.js?
maratheamit

Postby dkaufman1 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:58 pm

Been a while...a few things to report.

I have been using this script very successfully. Kudos to you for a great job!

In doing a quick search to get back here, (not a refined search) I found a lot imitators some even selling this. Since your hard work has benefitted me I wanted you to know that some people apparently are abusing it.

Now on to the meat...

I have been using the CSS flavor for a long time. I decided I wanted to create a client side image map, which codes the "href" inside the < area > tag. I tried just swapping out the href but of course that doesn't work.

Heres a code example I was toying with:

<map name="m_aboutus_r2_c1">
<script language="JavaScript">writeMailTo(scrambled.email@here);
</script>
<area shape="rect" coords="301,104,609,119" title="Email Us!" alt="Email Us!" >
</map>

or

<map name="m_aboutus_r2_c1">
<script language="JavaScript">
<area shape="rect" coords="301,104,609,119" title="Email Us!" alt="Email Us!" writeMailTo(scrambled.email@here); > </script>
</map>

Here is the original:
<area shape="rect" coords="301,104,609,119" title="Email Us!" alt="Email Us!" href="email@domain.com" >

Any help or ideas?
dkaufman1

Return to Developers