Companies that spam or sell your address!

General discussion re sg.

Re: Companies that spam or sell your address!

Postby unitacx » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:40 pm

I wrote a webpage on this one. The DMA:

http://www.skoozeme.com/privacy/thedmauseofemailaddress.htmll

(currently at 1787.)
unitacx

Postby SysKoll » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:19 am

Nice. One small correction: You say that SG bounces undelivered email. Nope. As the name indicates, it eats them. Reason: Bouncing to the From address is a classic form of spamming. Just put a fake To and the actual recipient in the From field, and the bounce does the job for you. Obviously we don't want that.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

CourseAdvisor is till ad it 10 years later

Postby Jim27106 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:39 pm

I saw CourseAdvisor on my list and wondered what was happening with it. The company sends me nothing, but their "customers" are still using my address..

From: Deborah L. Hayes. - admin@siclife-gh.com <courseadvisor.jim--- snip--- dfgh.net>
Subject: CONGRATULATION'S (GET BACK TO ME IMMEDIATELY).. (courseadvisor: message 4 of 5)
Priority: Normal Date: Friday, August 17, 2018 6:19 PM Size: 4 KB
Have you received your funds?. Kindly get back to me immediately on my e-mail: (-REDACTED-) You are advised to treat this communication with the urgency and seriousness required as the Board of Trustees of the Federal Reserve Bank has mandated us to resolve this fund payment within the next three working days.
Jim27106

Postby vertigo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:18 am

I've been using a different service (33mail) for several years now, though I want to switch to something else after a current serious issue I'm having with them which is keeping me from receiving mail; but, similarly to spamgourmet, it has allowed me to see when companies share my info. Surprisingly, I've found it to be quite uncommon, but here's the culprits so far:

• Finish (dishwashing detergent) - A little over 3 years ago, I asked a question through their website's contact form. My reward for my interest in their products was for them to immediatelysell/trade my info, as I started receiving emails to the address I created for them within days. I left a review on their website, detailing both my experience with the product and the fact they shared my info. The review was "moderated" (removed).
  • RAVPower**(see edit below)** - I don't remember when I created the email for them, but it was a while ago (probably a year or two). A couple weeks ago, I received an email from VAVA to that address, apparently shared due to RAVPower being excited about VAVA using their batteries in their new dashcam. I posted a comment about it on their blog which, of course, wasn't approved and therefore never posted.
  • Little Giant Ladders (http://www.littlegiantladder.com) - I bought a ladder from them 5 years ago, and just a week or so ago I got a spam email to the address I gave them. This one was scam spam, with a very poorly written message both in English and Russian. I emailed them about it, expressing my displeasure at the situation and my intent to not buy any more of their products, as well as to let others know how they handle their customers' information and, of course, have received no response.
  • There's one other "company" (actually a one-man operation AFAIK) I've seen emails sent to the address I gave them by another company, but strangely it's another company I've bought from and created an email for, and I think the emails started only after I bought from and created the email for the second company (roughly a few months ago), even though I made the email for the first company probably at least a few years ago. So between that and the fact it's such a small operation, I'm wondering if something else happened. I may email him and ask him straight up about it at some point, but it's just a bit strange and coincidental, so I'm not ready to accuse him yet.

**Sunvalley contacted me after I left a review on Amazon mentioning this. Apparently, they own RAVPower and VAVA, and it was a computer error that caused me to receive the VAVA email, which came to the RAVPower address, since they had it being the parent company of both. I understand that mistakes happen, and now that I know the full story RAVPower is off my sh*tlist, and I just wanted to update here as well. Though as I told them, if they'd just responded when I tried posting on their blog about it, instead of ignoring and not allowing it, the whole situation would have been much better. Also, unsurprisingly, neither Finish nor Little Giant Ladders have approved my post on their Facebook pages, so both companies continue to simply ignore the issue and try and shut me out.
Last edited by vertigo on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
vertigo

Postby SysKoll » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:00 am

I am always surprised how suppliers and vendors immediately either sell your email to the worst spammers, or store it on a Windows PC riddled with viruses that will harvest your email (among others).

Case in point, I recently bought a cell phone case from Amazon. The product was shipped from China by a small outfit. As soon as the order was shipped, I started receiving spams in Chinese.

Not very subtle. I know, serves me right.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby vertigo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:18 pm

That reminds me of another one I'd forgotten about. I actually had to close my eBay account a couple years ago and create a new one with a new email alias (I probably could have just changed my email, but there must have been some reason I didn't) because the one I used originally started receiving spam from a Chinese company I ordered something from. I thought eBay protected your email address from the sellers, but apparently not. And contacting customer service to try and get them to do anything about it was, unsurprisingly, a waste of time. I've also found their website security to be lacking. I try to do as little business as possible with them now.
vertigo

fhaloanlock =

Postby Jim27106 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:24 am

I got some spam from U.S.C.O. Certification Team <offers@bucketinhand.net>. If you changed your email address please click here to unsubscribe or write to us at:
3625 Piedmont Row #308, Charlotte, NC 28210. (I'd not get the message if I had changed it.) This email was sent from: Rock Water Marketing, 3418 Hwy 6 South, Suite #339, Houston, TX 77082.

The first address also comes back to www.fhaloanlock.com and info@RentAndOwnListings.com
Jim27106

Postby Jim27106 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:18 am

unsubscribed on the 5th. got another message from The New York Times <Sapphire@iqmailer.net> today.

I wonder how much they paid for my email address. I did check that scumbags/ spam-sters sapphire are connect to the NY Times.
Jim27106

last.fm

Postby SG-Fan » Tue May 07, 2019 11:02 pm

The personalized music radio last.fm must have forwarded my e-mail address to spammers, because I get about one off-topic spam per day and I used this e-mail address exclusively with last.fm
SG-Fan

Ziffy.in

Postby Jim27106 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:00 am

I sent an inquiry to Ziffy.in. Silly me for thinking they could even understand English. Anyhow, they never answered my original question. Ziffy spammed me with like 20 messages in a few months. Ziffy's customer service is really bad for a native English speaker. Perhaps they would be better if I was spending rupees. (I could 5-9 grammar errors in the most recent unsolicited commercial email (UCE) message.)
------------------------------------------
Let us see if this works.

Unsubscribe . 4th notice. (two or more in may. at least one in April)

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 12:44 AM Ziffy - ziffy@mkt.ziffy.in <ziffy19.--- snip--8233f65.ziffy#mkt.ziffy.in@ob.0sg.net> wrote:
Dear Zinfi Srinivasi,

Getting leads for your business is a necessity but lower the cost, the better RoI you can get.

Missed call service is a better way to get more leads for your business no matter where you are running your marketing campaigns, e.g., Billboard, News Papers, Radio, Websites, Emails etc.,

To better understand the solution you can visit Missed Call Service.

All our plans allow you to receive unlimited incoming missed calls (no charges based on calls you received).

For more information, you can call us on 9554443322 or 18001233733.

Thanks,

Team Ziffy

https://ziffy.in
Jim27106

Postby Whatifi » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:00 am

My unique SG email address for Chipotle.com was compromised, and I was getting not spam exactly, but weird internal business-sounding emails that seemed to be meant for someone else. One of them was from “joe@xoxy.net” with a .doc attachment that I did not open, another was instructions regarding some payroll processing, no attachment, and a third was a random, very poorly composed rudimentary spam. All in all I got all 20 that were allowed before eaten.

My unique SG email address for Walgreens.com was also compromised. So far I have received 8 spam only from one source, an outfit that calls itself “AI Sift” that has fake looking ads for various household products.
Whatifi

Previous

Return to General Discussion