Newegg and BestBuy

General discussion re sg.

Newegg and BestBuy

Postby frov » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:56 pm

I'm having problems with two vendors which may end up being the same problem. I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this or suggest things that I can try.

NEWEGG: I've had a Newegg account that sends me mail through spamgourmet for years. A while ago (maybe around two years, but maybe even longer) I started having problems where the promotional information that Newegg sends out would not arrive, At first this was inconsistent, I might not get promotional emails for a month ot two and then they would start showing up again. But eventually they stopped completely and would not restart. This in spite of me re-signing up for promotional mailings with my Newegg account, and even creating a second account with an xoxy.net address rather than a spamgourmet.com address. I finally resolved this by creating yet another account at Newegg that uses a non-spamgourmet address that then forwards to my real address, and I'm getting all of the promotional material through that address. The strangest thing is that when I make a purchase through Newegg the confirmation and shipping information come in through my spamgourmet address just fine, it is only the promotional information that fails to arrive. And the last 3 things eaten listed on the Spamgourmet page never list any Newegg messages as being eaten, they are a trusted sender, and the remaining message count on the account in question us at 20. Why don't I get the promotional messages through this account any longer?

BESTBUY: I wanted to buy something from BestBuy.com today, but as it involves a digital code that must be emailed to me I needed to create an account. I have been unable to do so. The BestBuy system was failing but not reporting the source of the error. I eventually got support involved and they claim to have an account set up for me using an xoxy.net address that I gave them, but I have been unable to log into it. I keep trying to have the BestBuy system reset the password and they claim that they are resending me a password resetting link through the xoxy.net address that I gave them, but it never arrives (and spamgourmet.com never shows that the account with bestbuy and my watchword have had any activity). This my be completely unrelated to my Newegg issue, but both cases seem to be examples of vendors sending to spamgourmet.com or xoxy.net addresses but the messages never seeming to be received by spamgourmet.

I have been using Spamgourmet for years. I'm very pleased with it. I have 13,942 forwarded, 14,633 eaten messages. Overall it has worked extremely well. But these two issues are a real puzzle to me and I can't resolve them. I still want to make my BestBuy purchase, but not bad enough to give them my real email address, so I would really like to resolve this.
frov

Re: Newegg and BestBuy

Postby josh » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:48 am

try turning off reply address masking and turning on the feature where it doesn't change the subject line and test. Some sites are using strict DKIM checking, and it's not compatible with reply address masking and the subject line tag - the DKIM check looks to verify that the headers haven't modified in transit -- of course they are totally modified when we change the the From: address and the subject
josh

Postby frov » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:53 am

Thank you Josh for the response. However, I'm pretty sure that the emails that I should be getting for Best Buy and Newegg are getting "lost" at the entrance to Spamgourmet and not after they leave (assuming they are being sent to Spamgourmet at all). The reason that I say this is I noted the New Egg forwarding count after you made your post, it was at 2364. It is still at 2364, although NewEgg should have sent it a number of promotional messages since then (and it did send promotional email to the alternate address that I signed up that does not go through spamgourmet or xoxy. Further, spamgourmet.com has no entry in my account at all wth my watchword and bestbuy, even though BestBuy claimed it sent me several confirmation emails to the address that I created for them.

So I don't think that my mail provider (Gmail) is rejecting these mails because the headers are munged, otherwise I would see increasing counts in these two accounts even if they were later rejected by Gmail.

Could there be a way that Spamgourmet is rejecting these mails, without including them in my "last 3 eaten" list? Perhaps for the same reason that you thought my mail provider was dropping them, something wonky in the headers?
frov

Postby Jim27106 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:44 am

I've seen similar behavior with BankOfAmerica. I did a bunch of testing. Personally I think something in the server and BankOfAmerica, NewEgg, and BestBuy decides not to even try to send the message to the SG servers.

They fixed it and I now use a SG addr with B of A.
Jim27106

Postby frov » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:15 pm

Jim27106, What evidence do you have that your problem was at BoA and not Spamgourmet? I've seen this with mail coming from two origins, and you report a third, the common factor seems to be here. I'm hard pressed to think that NewEgg, after delivering literelly thousands of promotional emails to my spamgourmet account, would then deliberately start not sending those because they were going to my spamgourmet address (but still allow me to use it for orders). I also doubt if BestBuy is savvy enough to block spamgourmet addresses. at least when they are going to one of the more obscure alternate addresses.

While I have seen some sites that outright reject the use of a spamgourmet address at account creation time (for reasons that should raise a red flag to anyone), they at least tell you and ask for an alternate address. I can't image NewEgg asking for an address to receive their promotional email, deciding that it is a spamgourmet address that they will not send to, and then just telling you that the account is set up without asking for a different address.
frov

Postby ragingdragon » Wed May 13, 2015 1:36 am

frov wrote:Thank you Josh for the response. However, I'm pretty sure that the emails that I should be getting for Best Buy and Newegg are getting "lost" at the entrance to Spamgourmet and not after they leave (assuming they are being sent to Spamgourmet at all). The reason that I say this is I noted the New Egg forwarding count after you made your post, it was at 2364. It is still at 2364, although NewEgg should have sent it a number of promotional messages since then (and it did send promotional email to the alternate address that I signed up that does not go through spamgourmet or xoxy. Further, spamgourmet.com has no entry in my account at all wth my watchword and bestbuy, even though BestBuy claimed it sent me several confirmation emails to the address that I created for them.

So I don't think that my mail provider (Gmail) is rejecting these mails because the headers are munged, otherwise I would see increasing counts in these two accounts even if they were later rejected by Gmail.

Could there be a way that Spamgourmet is rejecting these mails, without including them in my "last 3 eaten" list? Perhaps for the same reason that you thought my mail provider was dropping them, something wonky in the headers?

I have been around long enough to not doubt josh in how his system works. The DKIM option is probably theoretically valid (since he knows when the counter would be increased. He wrote the code u know).

Although it is certainly possible that the companies themselves are blocking the email at their gateway (and maybe the cs rep you talked to dont know about it).
ragingdragon

Return to General Discussion