Did your mail provider blacklist the spamgourmet server?

Use this forum to get help.

Did your mail provider blacklist the spamgourmet server?

Postby info » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:43 pm

I'm making this announcement because, while we've had the problem for a long time, there's been a lot more of it since we moved servers recently.

If your mail provider (the organization which manages what comes after the @ sign in your protected email address) refuses to accept mail from our server, it's bad for you, because you won't get any mail through us, and it's bad for us, because all your mail goes into a queued error state and starts mucking up our server, and it's bad for you, because the ultimate bounce error message may include your protected address.

By the way, the IP address of our mail server is currently 216.75.62.102

Realize: There's nothing we can do about this!!!! -- the fastest way to solve the problem is to start using a different protected address with a service that doesn't block our server. Contrary to popular belief, you do *not* have to confirm anything on the old address in order to change -- you merely have to confirm the new address using the link in the confirmation email that's sent to it.

The other (and ultimately better) way is for you to convince your service provider to unblock our IP address. They're more likely to listen to you than they are to us, since you're their customer, but if you need us to contact the administrator also, we're generally happy to do so. Remember, they think we're a spammer or they wouldn't have blocked us, so it can be an uphill climb convincing them otherwise.

What's worse, if you contact us and ask us to contact the administrator (like they'll probably tell you to do), it's likely that: a) our email to the administrator will bounce, because they're not accepting mail from our server, and b) our attempt to let you know what happened will also bounce, because they're not accepting mail from our server! (kind of frustrating, to say the least)

Did I mention that the IP address of our server was currently 216.75.62.102?

It sucks to be treated like a spammer when you're running a spam fighting service for free, but there you go.

Here are ones we believe (or know) are blocking us - I'll try to keep this list up to date:

speakeasy.net
mindspring.com (lots of secondary domains, like radiks.net use these servers)
optonline.net (they've pretty much always blocked us - not sure what their issue is)

(took cox.net off the list based on subsequent post)
info
Site Admin

Postby josh » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:59 pm

Sg user whose first name starts with 'M' -- I updated the above post based on your request to get me to contact

----------- speakeasy.net -------------

I sent a request to abuse@(their domain), like you asked, but it bounced, because they're not accepting mail from our server, then I tried to forward the bounce message to you so that you could send to them, but, as you can guess, that bounced too, because they're not accepting mail from our server. Hope you read this -- it's the only way I can contact you, apparently.
josh

Re: Did your mail provider blacklist the spamgourmet server?

Postby anon090526 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:34 pm

info wrote:Here are ones we believe (or know) are blocking us - I'll try to keep this list up to date:
cox.net

Some good news so far with Cox. After enduring several days of mind-numbing interaction (can't call it discussion) with tier-1 support, I got escalated to tier-2 support, which finally understood the issue, and said they'd escalate to their "mail team". He also told me where to send a "remove blacklist" request. The next day I started getting SG mail again.

It's now been about 10 days, and it's still working. I get mail from a third party through SG to my cox.net mailbox. And replies to that using SG address masking get back to that third party.

I have yet to receive any direct or explicit status from Cox support on my un-blacklist request or service escalation. Who knows, maybe they're viewing this as a trial period and it will change back tomorrow.

But it's probably time to remove cox.net from your list.
anon090526

Postby josh » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:26 pm

mindspring.com (earthlink) is still very much blocking our server - we can't even make connections.
josh

Postby lwc » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:03 am

But unless there are actual bounces, how do you even check if an ISP blocks Spamgourmet?
lwc

Postby josh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:25 pm

telnet to port 25 on each of their MX hosts - wait.... wait.... wait.... ... .... timeout.

try from another box -- get in instantly. Repeat. Same result each time.
josh

htp-tel.de blacklists SG

Postby Bart » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:38 am

Hello folks,

I am not amused to anounce it, but I found out that htp-tel.de (an ISP) blocks SG. I'm pretty sure that this is not the fault of SG, because it's possible to forward mails with SG to another "real" address. And they also block in case of *@spamgourmet.com on my personal whitelist at htp-tel.de! :evil: I wrote a complaint and we will see...

This only to complete the list of "evil" ISPs. :wink:

Greetings
Bart
Bart

Nokia Ovi mail?

Postby gourmet » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:08 am

http://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.php?p=6339#6339

I'm not sure if it's SG or Nokia Ovi blocking the service. But at least it's quite clear that SG isn't working with Nokia at all. I think I have something like 100% rejection rate with about 30 test messages during last month

Confirmed during several months and about 100 tests. Not a single mail got through.
Last edited by gourmet on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
gourmet

Postby ChrisKraus » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 pm

I believe Hotmail may be blocking SpamGourmet emails.
I would have to double-check because I am using a free No-IP Domain with Windows Live Domains for that email account.
ChrisKraus

AOL (mail.com) blocking SG

Postby mdhirschg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:46 pm

I just figured out that mail.com (run by AOL) is blocking things:

mdhirsch@mail.com
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mailin-04.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.18]: 554 5.2.1 :
(RLY:BM) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlybm.html

That link does not in fact explain the error code RLY:BM, though it explain many others.

Apparently there is a form to fill out to unblock: http://postmaster.aol.com/cgi-bin/plugh/sa_form.pl

That form needs to be filled out by SG, it requires information I don't have. I'm complained to postmaster, but I expect to be ignored. I hope you can have better success.

Feel free to send me email to that address above in order to test things.

Thanks,

Michael
mdhirschg

Postby habibie » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:11 pm

info wrote:..., and it's bad for you, because the ultimate bounce error message may include your protected address.
This is bad if spamgourmet starts to reveal protected e-mail address to the sender in this manner.
habibie

Postby josh » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:10 pm

habibie wrote:
info wrote:..., and it's bad for you, because the ultimate bounce error message may include your protected address.
This is bad if spamgourmet starts to reveal protected e-mail address to the sender in this manner.
I'm with you - it's really not spamgourmet that does it, though, it's the user's ultimate mail server that is rejecting the attempted send from spamgourmet that does it.
josh

Postby habibie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:47 pm

josh wrote:
habibie wrote:
I'm with you - it's really not spamgourmet that does it, though, it's the user's ultimate mail server that is rejecting the attempted send from spamgourmet that does it.
IC. So, it is not SpamGourmet fault. I wish there is a way to add some scripts to SpamGourmet to check and drop the e-mail address from user's ultimate mail server.
habibie

Re:

Postby Cortomorro » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:21 pm

ChrisKraus wrote:I believe Hotmail may be blocking SpamGourmet emails.

+1
I have an issue with Hotmail. SG haven't worked anymore since a week.
I have tried with another protected address (example@sfr.fr) and SG goes right.
What's the matter with Hotmail ?
Cortomorro

Postby erratic » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:53 am

Hello,

Do we keep a list somewhere of all know providers who blacklist/block spamgourmet ?
If not, would it not be interesting to build such a list for look-up?
erratic

Next

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...