discard all mail to hidden addresses (even if whitelisted)?

General discussion re sg.

discard all mail to hidden addresses (even if whitelisted)?

Postby josh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:22 pm

A user emailed me to say he/she was surprised to receive a message on long hidden address - the message was forged to be from a trusted or exclusive sender for the address, and so went straight through. The user reasonably believes that someone who was less on guard might have taken the message as legit.

It does make sense to discard all messages to hidden addresses intuitively, but we're not doing it - trusted/exclusive senders (including forged ones) and remaining counts still work.

Does it make sense to quietly change the logic to discard all mail to hidden addresses? If this is a real problem, that seems like the best approach to me. The alternative is to add a new feature that has to be turned on in order to do it - this prevents surprises, but it seems like it introduces additional complexity and most of the existing users will never know about it.
josh

Re: discard all mail to hidden addresses (even if whiteliste

Postby lwc » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:27 pm

I think the kind of users who actually enter the site to hide addresses are ones who will eventually discover new options.

But there's a way overdue option that should be official first: Don't strip the display name in reply address masking - it should be on by default with the ability to turn it off. Without it, Spamgourmet is currently an anonymizer service despite your own resistance (you said it's illegal in various jurisdictions).
lwc

Postby josh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:24 pm

lwc wrote:But there's a way overdue option that should be official first: Don't strip the display name in reply address masking - it should be on by default with the ability to turn it off. Without it, Spamgourmet is currently an anonymizer service despite your own resistance (you said it's illegal in various jurisdictions).
this is pretty much working now, right? It's not an option, it's on all the time.

Believe me, even without it, sg is not an anonymizer.
josh

Postby lwc » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:58 pm

I don't want to be a topic hijacker so continued here - please address the issue there.
lwc

Postby ragingdragon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:41 am

I STRONGLY feel that trusted senders should take priority over any other restriction in the SG system. SG system is not meant to be a source of trust that tells you whether your email is legit or not. Its a system that lets you choose what mails you want to see and what mails you dont and its exactly what it does now.

Also, I view the hide messages count as a way to not have to physically look at id's I dont really care about, not a way of telling the system not to send me messages any more. Thats what a 0 count is for, and trusted senders over-rides that, so this is a no-brainer to me.
ragingdragon

Return to General Discussion