DDOS

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

DDOS

Postby info » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:31 pm

Spamgourmet has been subjected to attacks of all sorts for almost as long as it's been around, but most have been inconsequential. For the last couple of months, we've seen the obvious evidence of a distributed denial of service attack in the mail server logs -- hundreds/thousands (or more - hard to tell) of computers are connecting, tying up connections, and at times trying to burn up CPU. In the last few weeks, the attack has intensified significantly in numbers and varied in strategy to become more effective on a per-attack basis. This is resulting in delayed mail. We're working on this one.
info
Site Admin

Postby telakin » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:57 am

Is there anything one could do to help? I donated another 10 $ to at least show some sign of personal support.

Keep up the great work!
telakin

Postby TerDale » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:39 am

Also ready to give a hand if needed, whatever the way, just let me know.

I couldn't imagine to live without SG, on which I rely for years now, and really one of the best online service I'm using

Thanks again for all your hard work
TerDale

Postby SysKoll » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:25 pm

TerDale wrote:Also ready to give a hand if needed, whatever the way, just let me know.

I couldn't imagine to live without SG, on which I rely for years now, and really one of the best online service I'm using

Thanks again for all your hard work

Thanks, TerDale. It's nice to have positive encouragement. The spammer's DDoS provides negative encouragement, as in "now it's personal". :-)
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby TerDale » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:55 pm

So, anything _we_, service subscribers, can do to help?
TerDale

Postby SysKoll » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:37 pm

Well, we would like to have users from CZ (is it the Czek Republic now?), Brasil and The Netherland to contact ISPs on our behalf. I'd like to write a letter that they'd have to translate and I'll email it to their support.

We already got a volunteer in Israel.

Yes, I know that most ISPs have people speaking English, but I do believe that a letter in their own language has a better chance to be understood.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby TerDale » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:48 pm

OK, hope you'll get such guys. Scanning the forum memberlist could help, providing they have filled in the "location" field... :?
If something else is possible for residents of other countries, please let us know in this thread
TerDale

Re: DDOS

Postby fmus » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:53 pm

info wrote:For the last couple of months, we've seen the obvious evidence of a distributed denial of service attack in the mail server logs --

Sorry to hear it. Another one for the "no good deed" files.

I guess in a way it's a backhanded compliment, an admission that your service is repugnant to spammers.

Keep the faith, brothers. I'd rather have slow mail than spam mail. :-)
fmus

Postby alchemista » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:42 pm

any new updates?

any alternatives we can do during this time? I've had a lot of undeliverable mail during the time.

I hope this can get fixed... bast3rds
alchemista

Postby SysKoll » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:13 pm

I worked to alleviate the problem. We are still under attack, but the slow-down is not as severe anymore.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby alchemista » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:28 pm

SysKoll wrote:I worked to alleviate the problem. We are still under attack, but the slow-down is not as severe anymore.

just block the offending IPs at the firewall level for now, so that the rest of the users can at least use the service. right now the service is basically dead
alchemista

Postby SysKoll » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:17 am

Alchemista,

I have answered you somewhere else. Please don't post about the same topic into different threads and forum, it makes it hard to follow.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

A great read about DOS attacks

Postby RTrev » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:06 am

If you folks haven't read this old classic yet, you'll probably enjoy it. I believe it was the most popular page on the web at the time Steve Gibson first published it. It's still an eye-opener.

http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

BTW, my name is Bob and this is my first post here, so please forgive any errors I may have made in posting. :-)
RTrev

Return to What's New