issues

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

issues

Postby info » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:44 pm

With the new server in place, we have enough horsepower to see more of what's going with our service. Two big problems we've identified are 1) a prolonged attack from one or more botnets that eat up a lot of connections and other resources, and 2) continued abuse by spamgourmet users writing scripts that create hundreds (or many more) spamgourmet addresses for whatever reason, in violation of the TOS. We're continuing to try and find automated solutions to these problems. If you've previously written a script like that, you may see that your account has been disabled as our tools attempt to identify abuse. Ultimately, dealing with problems like these remains the biggest technical (and labor) challenge in running the service, which is a shame.
info
Site Admin

Postby Geode » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:37 am

I've noticed that a number of e-mails routed through SG are taking a very long time to get forwarded - for example, I just received an e-mail from an online computer store advertising last week's sale (the message was sent on August 17th, received on August 25th). There doesn't seem to be a problem with messages that aren't going through a SG address. Is this due to the botnet problems, or something else?

Anybody else experiencing the same thing, or is it just me?
Geode

Postby lwc » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:14 am

No need to keep opening new topics about it (or in this case replying to new ones) - everybody reported their issues concerning the latest problems in here. I suggest you report your problem there too.
lwc

Postby Geode » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:07 pm

I read the other thread, but didn't see the more recent posts (post-new-server). Thanks for the pointer.
Geode

Return to What's New