If reply masking is on, messages will bounce back!

General discussion re sg.

If reply masking is on, messages will bounce back!

Postby de552 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:48 am

I have tried to create new email addresses (for old accounts) and new accounts. And email messages bounce.

>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.1.7 <>: Sender address rejected: it contains invalid characters

Spamgourmet looses all information about email address for some reason. Maybe reply masking is broken because i'm using it.

-- quick analysis --

Yes it's source of the problem. Without reply address masking everything is ok. If it's turned on then I can't receive email because of that problem I mentioned above.

- Thanks

I can send full message headers for analysis and email address etc.

email: ztdimqef@trashmail.net

When I view headers this seems to be the problem:

Actual address part is EMPTY! So how it could work? It's quite clear why message is getting rejected.
Last edited by de552 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
de552

Postby SysKoll » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:05 pm

I just tried sending a message with email masking. I created a masking disposable (which contains + and #), send a message to this address, verified that the real From was masked, and replied successfully.

You need to send the headers of the message as well as the full description of the test scenario. Also, what email client or web-based mailer were you using for that test?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby de552 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:13 am

SysKoll wrote:I just tried sending a message with email masking. I created a masking disposable (which contains + and #), send a message to this address, verified that the real From was masked, and replied successfully.

I did some tests with my isp smtp server, at it might be their reason. But i think it's not. I'm not yet sure.

Code: Select all
   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to fe.mail.saunalahti.fi.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.1.7 <>: Sender address rejected: it contains invalid characters
550 5.1.1 <star-alliance07.my-user-account-here@spamgourmet.com>... User unknown
<<< 554 5.5.1 Error: no valid recipients

Reporting-MTA: dns; gourmet.spamgourmet.com
Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost.localdomain
Arrival-Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:28:54 GMT

Final-Recipient: RFC822; star-alliance07.my-user-account-here@spamgourmet.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; fe.mail.saunalahti.fi
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.1.7 <>: Sender address

It seems like(?) to address wouldn't have been modified during transit. But I know this is bit messy. I'll send you full message in private with user-account information etc.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I also tried sending messages from other web-based services to my account. Best test would be changing destination email address and testing again. So I know if it's sending / receiving / generic etc problem. I'll do some more debugging and post more.

But it wasnt senders fault, because I tried several services. Now I try different (hidden address) destination services.
de552

Reply masking problem Confirmed - ISP SMTP server

Postby de552 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:25 am

Confirmed. - Not busted!

It's my ISP's mail server that rejects that "from address with reply-masking stuff"

"test-box@safe-mail.net" <+test-box+test-box+09dab796e4.test-box#Safe-mail.net@spamgourmet.com>

I gotta have a chat with admins...

So has anyone else encountered this problem lately?

SMTP server says:
220 emh01.mail.saunalahti.fi ESMTP Postfix
de552

Postby SysKoll » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:08 pm

Hotmail does the same thing. They believe that + and # are not legal in a mailbox name. Glad to see your ISP can misinterpret an RFC just as well as Microsoft.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby de552 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:18 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_address

According to RFC 2822, the local-part of the address may use any of these ASCII characters:

* Uppercase and lowercase letters (case sensitive)
* The digits 0 through 9
* The characters ! # $ % & ' * + - / = ? ^ _ ` { | } ~
* The character . provided that it is not the first or last character in the local-part.

There are some quite bad looking chars anyway. Especially "`'" I'm not sure how many servers handle those without problems. But I haven't tried so maybe that's the problem...
de552

Return to General Discussion