How to assign an inclusive exclusive user

General discussion re sg.

As an added feature, it would be useful to be able to turn off the message counter for specific tags.

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 2

How to assign an inclusive exclusive user

Postby jgombos » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:40 pm

Suppose a tag suddenly begins to traffic important messages, and I want all messages forwarded. One example would be using job.z.acct@xoxy.net to apply for jobs. Once I have had held a job for a few weeks, mail to that address becomes useless, so I let the blackhole eat the junk. But when between jobs, I want that address to forward everything from everyone.

I have tried setting the exclusive sender to "*" to pass everything through, but it doesn't work.

Job searching is just one example. There are other cases where a disposable address becomes more important than I had originally envisioned, and I want everything to be forwarded.

Sometimes I even know in advance that the recipient (or group thereof) of an address is trustworthy enough not to subject their flow to a counter/blackhole, but I still want them to have a custom address without opening a seperate email account. In these cases the best solution is to make the most popular sender exclusive, and then periodically monitor and refill that record.
jgombos

Postby SysKoll » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:54 pm

Put the disposable address itself as the exclusive sender. See the FAQ. This wil let through all messages sent to that disposable.

Don't leave it there for ever, though!
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby jgombos » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:06 am

SysKoll wrote:Put the disposable address itself as the exclusive sender. See the FAQ. This wil let through all messages sent to that disposable.

Good to know. I read the faq but missed that part.

Now suppose I distribute these addresses:

tag.companyA.user@xoxy.
tag.companyB.user@xoxy.
tag.companyC.user@xoxy.

since each to address is modified, is there any way to accomplish the same thing?

Edit by Syskoll: neutered the email addresses so that we won't get them scrapped by an address bot.
jgombos

Postby SysKoll » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:29 am

Don't use the company name as the word. Do it the other way around. For example, companyname.tag.account@sg.

This gives you a different disposable for each company. You can now selectively remove the counting on each address, as explained, by making the exclusive sender the same as the disposable. Remove the exclusive sender if/when the company starts spamming.

You caneven bring up all the tagged addresses on the same web page by doing a search on "tag" in the advanced tab. This lets you do a one-stop management.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby bbschad » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:28 am

SysKoll wrote:Put the disposable address itself as the exclusive sender. See the FAQ. This wil let through all messages sent to that disposable.

This (at least) is not in the German FAQ. Is there an active maintainer for this?
bbschad

Postby SysKoll » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:33 pm

bbschad wrote:This (at least) is not in the German FAQ. Is there an active maintainer for this?

Ich weiss nicht.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby bbschad » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:00 pm

SysKoll wrote:
bbschad wrote:This (at least) is not in the German FAQ. Is there an active maintainer for this?

Ich weiss nicht.

Do you need one?
bbschad

Postby josh » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:59 pm

bbschad wrote:Do you need one?
Both of the German translators have expressed an interest in and willingness to keep the translation up to date -- my practice has been to bug Michael H, because Jochen did so very much work in the beginning. Michael is extremely responsive when there's a change -- the fault is mine for not staying on top of all the changes. That said, if you have some specific language for the exclusive sender thing, I'd be happy to slap it in.
josh

Return to General Discussion