Has there been a surge in the volume of spam?

General discussion re sg.

Has there been a surge in the volume of spam?

Postby cmiller173 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:48 pm

Anyone notice a significant increase in the amount of spam in general not just sg? I have a Gmail account with a pretty weak ID that was pretty easy for a dictionary attack to find. Gmail keeps the last 30 days or so of spam it filters in a spam folder. Up until about 3 months ago the amount of spam my account received hovered around 1000 a month, sometimes dropping to 950 sometimes rising to 1100 but was consistently in that range for about twenty months. In the last 3-4 months the amount of spam in the filtered folder has risen steadily and sits right now at about 2300. Anyone else notice a big jump in volume recently?
CM
cmiller173

Postby mysticturner » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:16 pm

I've been using SG for so long that I don't even remember what spam looks like. :) Whoo Hooo for SG!!! To answer the question however, I haven't noticed a big increase rate of increase of my SG deleted stat.
mysticturner

Postby josh » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:06 pm

I think there has been a spike in the last few months.
josh

Postby de552 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:46 pm

mysticturner wrote:I've been using SG for so long that I don't even remember what spam looks like. :) Whoo Hooo for SG!!! To answer the question however, I haven't noticed a big increase rate of increase of my SG deleted stat.

Same here! I have been using sg for something like 3 years or so. And I haven't been suffering from spam.

Altough when spamgourmet "went down" due those attacks I lost quite many penpals because I couldn't reach them anymore and they couldn't reach me. That's sad.

Right now there seems to be some problems again. Email is taking more than 12 hours to get delivered (randomly). It seems that serverice is getting overloaded again.
de552

Postby josh » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:11 pm

See the news -- I misconfigured one of the bits of software we're using to block the bots, and that caused a CPU load spike which resulted in a mini-meltdown. We're back up now, and the delayed mail should be flushing through the system over the next 24 hours, then I'm thinking we'll be normal (and normal is good, these days) again.
josh

Return to General Discussion