I think the time to charge a fee has arrived!

General discussion re sg.

I think the time to charge a fee has arrived!

Postby tcgraham » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:14 pm

I am finding that SG performance continues to degrade. My concern is how much time time passes before a disposable address message gets back through your system. This is the senario:
1. I send a message using a disposable address to a website asking a question.
2. The website responds within seconds that they have sent me a response.
Before there response actually gets to my inbox 30-60 minutes might pass.
The problem is most prevelent with the above senario. Normally I don't need an immediate response.

There are lots of places a message can bog down.

But I just ran a test.
It is Sunday at 11:01EST. I sent a message to one of my disposable addresses at 10:54. It is now 11:10 and no response message. Granted only 15 minutes have passed but I expect 30 minutes will pass before I get a response.
SG is great and I have used it for years. But user growth may be causing a problem. What performance tests have your team conducted? On "average" how long would you expect a message turnaround to take? If you charged $5 a year to 140,000 users, you would have tons of money to get great performance. Or even just ask for a $5 donation. The donation approach would remove any accounting duties for you. Thanks for your thoughts. Tom - Florida
tcgraham

Postby josh » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:45 pm

The slowdown is not caused by the users (at least, not ~99.9999% of them) - most of the reason for delay is the huge botnet that's still launching dozens or hundreds of connection attempts at our server per second -- "legitimate" servers have to compete with this. We *have* managed to block a great deal of it before it gets into the code, which has resulted in much better (basically instantaneous) performance once a message gets through.

Charging users wouldn't improve this situation. Starting a new service with new domains and a new server and charging for accounts would likely provide great performance until such time as the botnet aims at the new server. :(

We're currently looking at hardware options that would increase cost, both up front and on a monthly basis, but show promise. I don't think the increase in cost would require charging users, though -- I think we could just do a brief fund drive.
josh

Return to General Discussion