sneaky 'domain-blocking' algorithm from Yahoo

General discussion re sg.

sneaky 'domain-blocking' algorithm from Yahoo

Postby psst » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:37 pm

I just found that I couldn't use a xoxy.net address
-- i.e. from.yahoo.20.psst@xoxy.net --
with Yahoo because they block that domain.

I tried some other spamgourmet domains - still no luck.

When I tried to register the address with an extra 'o'
-- i.e. from.yahooo.20.psst@xoxy.net --
the domain was no longer a problem.

I tried a few more variations and convinced myself that their algorithm searches for ".yahoo." in the e-mail address and then refuses to register it, stating that the domain is unacceptable.

Maybe it isn't sneaky and it is just a bad error message. After all they could have got me to verify the address and then blacklisted the entire domain for real. On balance I prefer their algorithm to this really sneaky one.

Anyway - I thought it was sneaky enough to warrant joining the BBS and pointing it out.
psst

Re: sneaky 'domain-blocking' algorithm from Yahoo

Postby funchords » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:03 pm

psst wrote:I just found that I couldn't use a xoxy.net address
-- i.e. from.yahoo.20.psst@xoxy.net --
with Yahoo because they block that domain.

What do you mean "couldn't use?" What were you trying to do in/at/with Yahoo, exactly? I couldn't tell from your message.

[O.T.] I have been a Yahoo user since it started in Jerry's dormroom (akebono.stanford.edu, anyone?). But I couldn't get a profile name that included the word Yahoo in it. So my profile is "Originalhoo." They're really protective of that name, and probably for good reason.
funchords

registered at yahoo ?

Postby iridos » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:11 pm

I think he was trying to register for a yahoo account.
Further, I think yahoo just checks for "yahoo" in the email string, because they want to proibit using yahoo-addresses being used as external email addresses for other yahoo addresses.
So instead of checking, that "@yahoo.com" (or net or whatever) is not entered, they just search for "yahoo" - and that's why the spamgourmet address was rejected

Iri
iridos

Postby psst » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:28 pm

I was trying to change an e-mail address in my Yahoo profile.

Thanks for getting me to clarify this point.

Also, your explanation makes sense, Iridos. Perhaps they weren't being sneaky after all. It's funny that their error message correctly identified the domain of the e-mail address even the the check that lead to the error message didn't.

Or perhaps they are guarding against e-mail servers that recurse back to something in the username part of the e-mail.

Aargh! If I don't stop thinking about this now, I will come up with 10 more explanations.
psst

Postby iridos » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:36 pm

Aargh! If I don't stop thinking about this now, I will come up with 10 more explanations.

Well, I think it's more safe to assume someone was stupid than to assume that someone was overly smart.
There's probably more stupid people around than really smart people - if this wasnt true, why do we have wars, pollution and clima change?
(And how the hell could america vote for bush a "2nd time" after he swindled himself into becoming president the 1st time? Now find 10 explanations for this...)

And - can't you just imagine... you're programming this and are told yahoo addresses shouldnt be accepted. You got that string with the email in it and... well, of course you search through it for "yahoo", because there's yahoo.com, yahoo.de, etc (note one domain has 2 letters, one has 3 so you cant rely on the position of "yahoo").

Anyways, substitute "stuipd" with "lazy" and you probably get the same result :-)

I. [/quote]
iridos

Return to General Discussion