REQ: List of Spam-Log

General discussion re sg.

REQ: List of Spam-Log

Postby NicoS » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:00 am

Hi,

once again thx for the very useful service!!

I´d like to ask for a request to build easier a "white list" of non-spam mails.
Unfortunately I can see only the last 3 mails but I would like to activate a time-limited log-file, maybe for download later on.
This will make things much more easier to create a "white list" (positive list) to allow forwarding.

Did I missed a description of such a feature ?

What are you thinking about such a request?

Regards
NicoS
NicoS

Trusted sender

Postby SysKoll » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:37 pm

NicoS,

In the "advanced mode" tab, there is an option to enter addresses as "trusted senders". People who email you from trusted sender addresses do not decrement your counters. Isn't it what you're looking for?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby NicoS » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:28 am

HI,

not really.
I am already using the "trusted senders" but...

I would like to enhance the list by selecting senders by the rejected list, because sometimes I am getting mail from new senders which I will trust but without knowing their email address upfront.
This means: The first mail might be rejected, but the next one is going to be accepted (because I put them into the "trusted sender" list). On reply to the sender I can ask to resend the email.

This request was coming up because as a webmaster my email address is open to all the bots out there. Therefore I reject all mail except the ones in the white list ("Trusted sender list"). BUT - sometimes serious mail are arriving, which are now rejected also.

It´s difficult to explain in english because it´s not my native language but I hope it is okay to understand what I mean.
If not, please do not hesitate to reply.

NicoS
NicoS

Do you need a longer eaten message log?

Postby SysKoll » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:38 pm

It seems that you need a longer eaten message log. Currently, you can see the last 3 eaten messages for an account. How many would you need?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:29 am

Sorry ... took I while to coming back to this issue..

It would be great if I get the possibility to configure the list up to a defined maximum of ?? 50 ??.

With this I really get the chance to choose which mail I will accept and which one I will reject.

I am sure that this is going to be a great enhancement to SG.

Greets
NicoS

Postby SysKoll » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:01 pm

Nico,

There are performance and storage issues related to the eaten message log. Browse the forum if you want to see what problems we found.

Basically, it will require a lot of storage to let every use have a long eaten message log. I don't know if that'll be possible.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:57 am

What I wanted is just the log of the email address - not the storage of the message itself.

I guess that this issue will not need too much storage.

If I assume the maximum size for an email address to 100 Byte (much to much, I know) and multiply this by 50 as the maximum log size == 5000 Byte ~ 5 KB.

Okay.. you need to multiply this by the amount of Users who wants to use this feature.
What do you think, not realizable?

Postby SysKoll » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:53 pm

4 KB per user, 50000 users, that's 200 MB. I think the storage quota on the web server is very limited and I don't know if we can have that much space. Remember, this is a free service, so we need to keep resource useage down. Otherwise, HE will have to bill more for the spamgourmet server.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:54 am

:? :?

:( :(

:cry: :cry:

NicoS

Postby josh » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:11 pm

The biggest threshold issue here was that all user info is stored in a database. We did an implementation that used a CLOB-type field for the eaten message log (a TEXT field of arbitrary size), and found that just doing that tanked the database server -- the extra overhead of handling the LOB column was just too much.

To make it work, we switched over to a fixed length text column that was a lot lighter weight for the db server, but also restricted us to three "records" using our definition.

Perhaps we could come up with a design at some point that stores the logs in files or we could place the LOB column in another table that's only accessed when needed. We do have about 1250 users who currently have the eaten message log "turned on", and these are likely to be fairly active users, so we're still looking at a hit no matter how we handle it.

We do have a lot on our plate in the near term - we're adding a "send the first message" feature (which consists mainly of anti-abuse code), and then we need to do another release that will hopefully contain some pre-packaged user interface code (in PHP or whatever), and there are at least a couple of queued features after that, so we'll be tied up for awhile....
josh

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:27 am

Thanks Josh for your explanation.

It´s a pitty but anyway SG is a great service also without the feature I requested. Maybe to a later time...

The usage of an extra table flagged for "Log-Use" might be a better solution (because faster). Just to avoid missunderstandings, I suggested to store only the address of the sender, nothing more.
It´s just a suggestion.

I wish you and the whole SG team a merry christmas and a happy new year 2004.

NicoS

Return to General Discussion