Registering for forum

General discussion re sg.

Registering for forum

Postby qqdcqqdc » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:55 pm

When Registering for forum it asked for email addr. I tried several including a spamgourmet alt domain. It seemed it would only accept one @spamgourmet.com. Is this true? If so, if a user is registering because he wants to post for help because he's not getting SG mail, how could he complete registration when the comfirm email sent by bbs would not get thru? Shouldn't a nonforwarded(non SG) email addr work? Thanks.
qqdcqqdc

Postby El Nombre » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:48 pm

My experience is that any genuine email address works O.K.
( I have used Spamgourmet for years. It's still the best. )
El Nombre

I tried

Postby qqdcqqdc » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:32 pm

I tried gmail.com and xoxo.net (tho this was when xoxy.net wasn't forwarding). I replied "hint: use a spamgourmet addr". Did this I had to use "spamgourmet.com"?
qqdcqqdc

Sorry typo

Postby qqdcqqdc » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:33 pm

That was "IT replied: Hint"
qqdcqqdc

Postby josh » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:16 pm

Yeah, it's got to be spamgourmet com/net/org - we made a small modification to the bbs software to make this work, and it breaks when we add other domains.

The spam had gotten so bad on the board that this seemed like the best way to prevent it -- so far it's working well.

A user who's not receiving email can still contact us through email (we generally use a different server when replying, so if the main server is blocked, ours will still get through), and can read the entire bbs. If the user were to post, we'd almost certainly ask for an email with the specifics anyway.
josh

Return to General Discussion