Companies that spam or sell your address!

General discussion re sg.

military.com

Postby Jim27106 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Three years ago I gave the address military-com.bomb.jim2--snip-- in an unsubscribe request to Military.com. Spam to the tune of over 400 messages (10 a month) in that time frame has come. Plus 9 to [sic] ary-com.bomb.jim2--snip--and 6 to [sic] litary-com.bomb.jim2--snip-- .

I never used the address. And since it has my code word "bomb" in it that means I never even confirmed it.

I guess if you are wasting bandwidth why bother to get the email address correct?

The quiz: Look at the address below. Do you expect I will get
a) spyware
b) a page with ads for Drugs
c) a page with ads for calcium

Jim
-----
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:36:49 -0800
To: ary-com.bomb.jim2--snip--
Subject: \/*EREKSHN HERE >>*/\

Get a sufficient supply of 100% pure Calcium.
talk.pfound.russia/qijtct.html?most=Diabetes
Jim27106

Vanguard.com - penny stock spam

Postby Elvey » Wed May 25, 2011 6:26 pm

warrenn wrote:I'm starting to get penny stock spam to the address I used with Vanguard.com. I doubt they sold my address. Probably the email marketing company they used was hacked.

That could well be wishful thinking. Penny stock spam to the DEA I used with TDAmeritrade.com is EXACTLY what led to my uncovering one of the biggest hacks of all time. See http://ameritrade.elvey.com and consider what happened with my case if you're thinking about taking legal action.

But I assume most folks hear have heard of this massive breach:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_Data#Epsilon

Vanguard isn't on the list.

(Customers of all these were affected:
1-800-Flowers
AT&T Universal Citi Card
Ameriprise Financial
Ann Taylor
Barclays Financial
Beachbody
Bebe
Best Buy
Brookstone
Capital One
Chase / J P Morgan
Citi
College Board
Disney Destinations
Eddie Bauer
Hilton
Home Shopping Network
JCrew
Kroger
LL Bean Visa Card
Lacoste
Marks & Spencer
Marriott
McKinsey & Company / The McKinsey Quarterly
New York & Company
Ritz Carlton
Scottrade
Soccer.com
TD Waterhouse
Target
TiVo
US Bank
Verizon
Victoria's Secret
Walgreens)
Elvey

Postby ronbarak » Mon May 30, 2011 12:57 pm

bookdepository.com gave address to marylou klink - klinakmayrylou@hotmail.com to send the following:

Need more money?

You can click here to begin your new job career!

etc.
ronbarak

Postby TuTa » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:39 pm

canadacomputers.com leaked my email address. Started to receive 1-2 spam messages a day. Hopefully, my CC info was not leaked/stolen/sold.
TuTa

Mine

Postby jack » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:41 pm

I don't know what anyone would do with the info in this thread, but anyway here are mine:

Ameritrade
ContrarianPicks (no surprise)
Dominion Virginia Power
Some firm that supposedly helps you hook up several utilities when you move.
Fling (no surprise).
Free Lakota Bank (no surprise).
Somebody that responded to an ad I'd put on Craig's List.
jobcircle.com
Return Path
smartgroups (which is defunct).
Spamcop support fora
StuffIt
Yoh
Zecco Trading (two addresses).
Jack Waugh
jack

Xerox leaking addresses

Postby SysKoll » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:17 am

I registered a laser printer two years ago, using a unique SG address. Then I started getting spam THE SAME DAY to this address. I contacted Xerox, who vigorously denied selling customer info.

Rather than posting the long exchange with their customer ignorance department, let me offer you a summary translation: "We don't sell your data. Instead, our clueless marketing guys store our customer data (probably in an Excel spreadsheet) that is flung like a mud pie between countless virus-laden Windows machines, and of course, a few of our laptops containing customer data get stolen every year or lost in pubs/taxis/airports/bordellos."

Nothing to see, move on.

Xerox has some good technology, but their street smarts didn't get any better since they taught Apple engineers how to steal their market by inviting them to their Palo Alto Research Center.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Re: Companies that spam or sell your address!

Postby gourmet » Sat May 18, 2013 5:42 am

I have a bad feeling that the operators receiving complaints from SpamCop are selling addresses or abusing those.

Because I haven't revealed my real email address to any service, but I still started to get spam after few SpamCop reports. Of course my real email address is visible in headers only which were sent to spam cop.

Good for me, using forwarding services makes it trivial to assign new primary address and drop old one. But it's still very annoying.
gourmet

CowboyByte.com

Postby Jim27106 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:25 am

So, i registered to be in a gun raffle at CowboyByte.com. I got tired of their emails after a bit and unsubscribed. Three days later I get a message asking me to "Please add mail@patriotdepot.com to your address book. Thanks! " I think not.
Last edited by Jim27106 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim27106

Nigerian scam CourseAdvisor.com

Postby Jim27106 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:53 am

I got what appears to be 419 scam email from CourseAdvisor.com and they are now on the list. I have no idea what I was checking on when I gave them couseadvisor.noprivacycanoptout---snip---net in April 2012. After 13 messages I opted out in November 2012. I've gotten 11 messages in the past 4 weeks for what looks like a 419 scam. I wonder if this is someone getting laid off when the Washington Post bought them out stealing the list. OOPS. Or perhaps the Washington Post doesn't believe in Opt out. Message count 0. Problem solved.
Jim27106

theDMA (Direct Marketing Association) preference list

Postby unitacx » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:00 pm

My favorite is the "deceased preference list" run by theDMA. They require an email address for Reasons.

Filed "deceased" report Apr-2009. Have 773 messages on my SG list so far.
unitacx

Postby TuTa » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Company: autotrader.ca
Spam type: 3rd party ADs (dealydeals and etc). No way to unsubscribe.

Recently 2 unique email addresses registered at autotrader.ca (my personal and my business) started to receive sane SPAM messages. I've contacted autotrader for comments - no reply.
TuTa

Postby Jim27106 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:59 am

Elvey,

Alliance Data removed your Wiki post. I put it back in and cited it.

JM
Jim27106

Postby Jim27106 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:58 pm

I met a nice guy and he said his company had jobs. Unfortunately I got fooled by a realistic site called LocalJobster. Fortunately we have SpamGourmet. A month later (after I unsubscribed) I get this ...

Forged: Match.com <contact@anomalousinsatiable.com>
To: localjobster.jci-job.[---snip---]@dfg[---snip---]et
Subject: Meet Singles Over 50 on Match.com (localjobster: message 2 of 6)

I noticed this in my junk mail box. It came in before the address I gave to local jobster self destructed. I don't know if the link in the email was a spammed affiliate link to match.com, a virus, or some other scam.
I also got emails "from":
My Timeshare Options <contact@anomalousinsatiable.com>
CareerEdge <email@careeredgeupdates.com>

I told them I wasn't interested in education (spam) and still got a spam/ scam email from
K. Leola <leola@nonelleneas.com>

I can't check the whois on every site I visit. I wish I had in this case because LocalJobster and CareerEdgeUpdates are registered in Panama, which is perhaps a new fraud/ scammer home.
Jim27106

Fred Prior

Postby Jim27106 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:08 am

FRED PRYOR SEMINARS & CAREERTRACK keeps sending messages even after I've told them to stop. I didn't realize that Fred Pryor sucked so bad they needed to spam. Perhaps it is fraud by Fred Pryor? I don't know.
Jim27106

Postby Jim27106 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:02 pm

IDC Technologies , Inc Milpitas, CA, has been told "UNSUBSCRIBE" 9 times. I would definitely check Glassdoor and ripoff report before doing anything with them. Actually, I have, and know IDC Technologies has a fraud blot on their name. I wonder what other scams IDC Technologies might be involved in.
Jim27106

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion