Someone is getting hold of my SG addys

General discussion re sg.

Someone is getting hold of my SG addys

Postby emeleel » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:25 am

Hello -

Today I have received three pieces of spam which came through SG addys - but the spam has no relation to the companies at which I had used the addresses. There are two different SG addresses in question. I try to use words in the first part of my SG addys that will help me remember which company I used it for - so when I got the first piece of spam, I thought Hickory Farms had released my address to a spammer. I was even more sure after the second piece of spam. But the 3rd piece was to a *different* SG address. I don't think two separate companies sold me out at the same time to the exact same people. (Spam #3 was the same as spam #2)

So either someone is having incredible luck, just "happening" to hit on two of my SG addys, or they've managed to find them somewhere. Neither addy has ever been posted anywhere else but here, though.

Does anyone have any ideas?
emeleel

Spammers use lists

Postby SysKoll » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:29 am

The two companies you mentioned obviously sold or leaked their clients' addresses. Spammers just collect them. The spam campaign that generated these 3 copies of the same spam was obviouly targetting a list composed of multiple sources. All you can say is that these two firms are slimy leaky bastards.

I started a new topic in this forum titled "Companies that sell your address!" The first post is about Hickory Farm. Please complete it by adding the type of product that was sold in this spam, and don't forget to post the name of the second spammer!
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby emeleel » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:29 am

Thanks for letting me know. Yes, I do know for sure that it was Hickory Farms on the first one. I'm not exactly sure the nature of the spam because there is no text, and the picture doesn't load - but the title of the spam is "Change performance forever!" Let your imagination wander where you will.

As for #2 and #3 spams, they were both about getting US Citizenship. One came to the HF addy, the other one came to one i named "penny". I can't remember who I assigned that addy to - guess I should keep notes, huh?
emeleel

Notes

Postby SysKoll » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:48 pm

That's why we have a notes column in the disposable address table.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:13 pm

Oh! :oops: I hadn't even noticed. I'll try to keep track of that from now on. Thank you!

Postby James Day » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:11 am

You can also use the company name in the disposable address. Makes it extremely easy to know who did the deed and you can see it in the eaten message log as well.:)
James Day

Re: Someone is getting hold of my SG addys

Postby mercuryvapor » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:33 am

It wasn't that two different companies "sold you out" the same day. It probably worked like this:

Both company A and company B provided your addresses to company C for legitimate use. If A and B are reputable, then they probably have agreements with C that limit what C could do. But C cheated, and sold the combined lists to company D, which did the dirty work. And then D sold its combined lists to E, etc. etc.

emeleel wrote:Hello -

Today I have received three pieces of spam which came through SG addys - but the spam has no relation to the companies at which I had used the addresses. There are two different SG addresses in question. I try to use words in the first part of my SG addys that will help me remember which company I used it for - so when I got the first piece of spam, I thought Hickory Farms had released my address to a spammer. I was even more sure after the second piece of spam. But the 3rd piece was to a *different* SG address. I don't think two separate companies sold me out at the same time to the exact same people. (Spam #3 was the same as spam #2)

So either someone is having incredible luck, just "happening" to hit on two of my SG addys, or they've managed to find them somewhere. Neither addy has ever been posted anywhere else but here, though.

Does anyone have any ideas?
mercuryvapor

Return to General Discussion