Is spamgourmet selling addresses to spammers?

General discussion re sg.

Is spamgourmet selling addresses to spammers?

Postby de552 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:43 am

Now I have a really tough question.

I received spam trough spamgourmet. (I know, it's ok technically)

The thing that makes me wonder is that spam was sent to address that I only share with my business bank.

Is it spamgourmet or bank that leaked that address to spammers? It's kind of address that it is impossible to guess or generate it by accident.

So is spamgourmet selling addesses(?!?) or business bank (?!?).

I would guess it's spamgourmet. I couldn't see any reason why reputable bank would sell my address. Unless they have a security breach. And I still think it's more possible that security breach is at spamgourmet's end than at the bank.

Could you please reply to me.

- Thanks!
de552

Postby josh » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:37 am

That's not a tough question -- we're not :)
josh

Postby SysKoll » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:26 am

de552,

I absolutely, positively guarantee you that sg is not spamming nor sharing its DB. I have hundreds of disposables (including for my financial institutions) and I have yet to see an unexplainable spam on one of them, which indicates that our DB has *not* been somehow hacked into. I eat my own dog food, thus providing a nice canary-in-the-mine alert system: If our DB leaks, I'll immediately notice it from the deluge of spam!

Now, in the past, we got one report of brokerage company Ameritrade leaking the address of someone. See
http://www.spamgourmet.com/bbs/viewtopi ... c&start=60

Please read that thread, then tell us:
* How do you access your email? What OS, what email application?
* On what machine did you recently access your email? A friend's machine for instance? A public kiosk?

We'll get to the bottom of this.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to General Discussion