[Request] Using the exclusive address as default in the form

General discussion re sg.

[Request] Using the exclusive address as default in the form

Postby lwc » Sat May 20, 2006 1:50 pm

When I choose an address, I can choose to "click here to send a message from this address".

The thing is 99% of the time I use this to send a message to the exclusive sender. What do you think about adding a new link called "click here to send a message from this address (to its exclusive address)"?

Now, I realize some of us use more than one address via the magic of regexp so I don't expect you to ask us which of the senders do we want to write to or anything like that. Just put whatever is there in the exclusive sender in the "to" field and if we have more than one, it would be our job to clean it up.

I think adding this feature should be pretty easy. It's just using the current facility except the "to" field would contain that address' exclusive sender as default instead of just being empty.

So what do you think?
lwc

Postby SysKoll » Mon May 22, 2006 3:09 pm

Why do you have to do that? If it's the exlusive sender that you are targetting, haven't you already received a message from him? And if so, why not use the reply-to hashed address?

Please elaborate your use case because I don't yet see how this could be useful.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby lwc » Tue May 23, 2006 10:52 am

I don't plan to store every e-mail message I have ever received (or at least one for every acquaintance) just so I could reply easily...

If I happen to have an earlier message, of course I reply instead of surfing to your site. But if not, I have to use this facility and copy and paste manually the exclusive sender from the first page to the second page. Since you already store it, I think it's a waste not to use it.
lwc

Postby SysKoll » Tue May 23, 2006 2:20 pm

I see. But without storing your whole email correspondance, doesn't your email client at least store the addresses? I use my email client's address book to store the hashed, masked return addresses.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby lwc » Tue May 23, 2006 4:43 pm

Same concept. Just like I wouldn't save each and every message, I wouldn't store each and every address in its own. Besides, I always like to think you change the construction of the reply address from time to time.
lwc

Return to General Discussion