SpamGourmet Load Indicator?

General discussion re sg.

SpamGourmet Load Indicator?

Postby Paranoid2000 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:48 pm

While SG at its best is very fast at forwarding mails, sometimes there seems to be a long delay (of a few hours) and it is not possible to tell if this is due to load at SG's end or problems elsewhere.

Would it therefore be possible to have a load indicator on the SpamGourmet webpage that could provide some indicator of what (if any) delays should be expected? (perhaps making it visible on login only for security). This could either be very general (low, med, high) or detailed (queue-size, estimated time to clear queue). That way, if server load does become an issue, users have the ability to check first and make alternative arrangements for time-critical mails.
Paranoid2000

Postby SysKoll » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:55 am

You know, that's a very good idea. Josh, would the queue size be a good indicator of the server load?

I can think of a couple of ways to show that parameter on the web front end with a caching system to avoid generating a sendmail command every time it's refreshed.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Darq » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:03 pm

Yeah -- in the past few weeks, i've noticed that my emails have been arriving VERY late... 6-8 hours or longer at times. (I am using my own domain that redirects to SG.)

This morning, i sent myself a test message and quickly logged onto SG to see if the email address had been created. Within the first 15 minutes, nothing showed up on my account. A little more than an hour later, I finally received the email.

Unfortunately, from reading through the headers, I can't tell if the slowdown is due to SG or due to my registrar's DNS services... any ideas?
Darq

Postby josh » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:11 pm

I do spot checks fairly often, and the load has generally been pretty low for the last few months. Every once in a while, we get the situation where a user has scripted some address creation for whatever reason (violation of the TOS), and that bogs down the service until the safety valve code detects the problem.

We probably could put an indicator on the page without impacting things too much -- we'll think about it
josh

Postby xavierg2 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:45 pm

My finding is that the address creations are very slow.

The mail sent to an existing address go faster

Xavier
xavierg2

Re: hi! welcome to website!

Postby Paranoid2000 » Sat May 20, 2006 1:58 am

fgfg5fg4 wrote::D :) :P We mainly deal...
Heh, that spamvertised site wasn't up for very long... :twisted: Good to see a Chinese ISP taking rapid action - congratulations Chinanet!

Edit: whoops, missed out the www. Oh well, let's see how long it lasts...
Paranoid2000

Postby de552 » Mon May 29, 2006 5:46 am

As it seems it's not about outgoing queue. It's about incoming mail and connections being accepted. So spamgourmet rejects connections all the time. This causes a long delay (resend delay) and some email is getting lost if server isn't configured to resend enough often and for long time.

So checking internal queue won't help at all. It's about input, not output.
de552

Return to General Discussion