[request] put message counter in FROM name instead of subj

General discussion re sg.

[request] put message counter in FROM name instead of subj

Postby Darq » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:07 pm

I know currently we have the ability to hide the message counter and have it show up in the header instead -- this would allow clients such as gmail to use the conversation-threads feature as normal.

Unfortunately, via Gmail, there doesn't seem to be a way to filter based on header fields, so we have no idea when we are reaching the end (or -the last one!-) of a disposable address without checking the header manually ourselves.

Any chance we could configure the message counter to show up in the FROM name instead?

I'm not 100% sure this would still show up as conversation-threaded in gmail, but someone might have another use for this as well?

Thanks!
Darq

Re: [request] put message counter in FROM name instead of su

Postby funchords » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:11 pm

Darq wrote:I know currently we have the ability to hide the message counter and have it show up in the header instead -- this would allow clients such as gmail to use the conversation-threads feature as normal.

Unfortunately, via Gmail, there doesn't seem to be a way to filter based on header fields, so we have no idea when we are reaching the end (or -the last one!-) of a disposable address without checking the header manually ourselves.

Any chance we could configure the message counter to show up in the FROM name instead?

I'm not 100% sure this would still show up as conversation-threaded in gmail, but someone might have another use for this as well?

I agree with the OP's issue, I have it too.

With respect, I strongly disagree to the proposed solution.

When you reply using Outlook (and doubtless other clients), the "From:" tag is carried into the quoted reply. If the OP's suggestion were followed, the message counter would be carried over into the reply.

Alternate Suggestion: spamgourmet.com sends a refill reminder after each forwarded mail when the count is hidden and there are (some small number TBD) or less remaining.
funchords

Postby SysKoll » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:23 am

Regardless of the solution proposed, the location of the remainder count is always going to be a problem for some clients or some mailing list. The subject field is the less damaging, but even so, some people welcome the option to hide it.

We could easily set sg to send a reminder when the count approaches zero. HOWEVER, as a policy, spamgourmet does not send any email to its users. None ever. If we start doing that, we are bound to either hit a nerve in some people, or have our messages flagged as spam by misconfigured spam filters out there (bad Outlook, bad!).

See the problem?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby xavierg2 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:17 pm

Maybe is the solution as simple as putting the info discretly eg 3/20 meaning 3thd message of 20?

Xavier
xavierg2

Postby zooloo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:48 pm

I agree: once you got accustomed to sg, these two numbers are all that matters in the subject tagline. A less verbose tag would also make occasional hiding failures (which do occur) less embarassing.

zooloo
zooloo

Postby funchords » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:02 pm

xavierg2 wrote:Maybe is the solution as simple as putting the info discretly eg 3/20 meaning 3thd message of 20?

Xavier

I like that idea.
funchords

Postby josh » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:34 pm

but wouldn't that still screw up subject threading?
josh

Return to General Discussion