Sending spam reports

General discussion re sg.

Sending spam reports

Postby Luft » Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:33 pm

I recently started using spamgourmet addresses for my usenet posts.

It took slightly under 1 month for one spam to just arrive. I was suprisied, generally spammers are much faster then that, and for a moment i thought spammers werent borthering sending to spamgourmet addresses.

After some thought i realised it was something else much simpler, i.e google wasnt archiving my posts . I did another test without the x-archive, lo and behold, spam came after a week.

Oh what was I rambling about, oh spam reports, I signed on to spamcop and it did a spam analysis, I was concerned it would report spamgourmet, because after all it forwarded the message, suprirising , it didnt, at least in the emails sent it wasnt sent to any ip belonging to spamgourmet hosts.

Cool!
Luft

Postby josh » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:45 pm

as chance would have it, we just got out of a crisis of sorts earlier this week where spamcop blacklisted spamgourmet. This was because we temporarily used some code that removed the mail headers that were present on messages before going through the system, making it look like the messages came from spamgourmet. Auto-reporting sent some of these to spamcop (as it always had), but spamcop now determined that the messages did originate at sg, and voila...

We've reverted back to the old code temporarily (which preserves the headers) and are working to resolve the problem with the new code.
josh

Return to General Discussion