New domains, personal domains and UI

General discussion re sg.

Would you like it?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:36 am

Yeah!
100%
Nope. Idea is already dead.
No votes
It would be cool, but I don't have own domain.
No votes
It could cause too much misuse. (How?)
No votes

Total votes : 2

New domains, personal domains and UI

Postby mika84 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:36 am

This is just my suggestion:

Feature I would like to see... Hmm, I guess this isn't thing for most of users. But maybe it could be "premium" feature or donation based? ;)

Ok what I would like to see... Domain -> address mapping.

Users could configure domain-name with gui used to process his email. (Yep, and take care of mx records)

Lets say that user 9012381 uses normally address cowpokeandso.9012381(at)spamgourmet.com. But in preferences it could be set so that any email coming to spamgourmet.com servers with domain mypersonaldomain.com would be processed using 9012381 preferences. I mean that the "users" part would be hiden and replaced by domain. Or of cource it optionally could be so that format still needs to be cowpokeandso.9012381(at)mypersonaldomain.com.

Any comments or thouhgs?

I'm sorry if it wasn't too clear. I'm somehow too used to write too messy specifications for programmers anyway.
Last edited by mika84 on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mika84

Re: Adding new domains, personal domains and GUI

Postby mika84 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:44 am

Part 2:

Hmm, is gourmet@spamgourmet.com 100% blackhole address?

When I did read some info I thought it might work so that I'll forward mail to that address and then the key.id(at)domain part would processed as the key. ID would be addressed to spamgourmet.com any comments?

maybe forwarding to id.gourmet(at)spamgourmet.com would work so that the key part is 100% of the leftside of original recepient. It would allow normal to sending for open domain forwardings.

Any comments about this feature? It wondt need messing with MX records.

asdf(at)asdf.com would become after forwarding to myid.gourmet@spamgourmet.com asdf.myid(at)spamgourmet.com and processed accodring those rules.

Go***m I made it too messy again. Ok, I guess that some of the smartest ones got the point... If you didn't don't bother your mind.
mika84

Postby SysKoll » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:36 pm

I am still quite confused about what that feature would do. Could you give a few examples, specifying everything what the source, destination and message transformation would be?

Yeah, writing good specs is hard, isn't it? That's what half a successful software project is about...
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby mika84 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:35 pm

SysKoll wrote:I am still quite confused about what that feature would do. Could you give a few examples, specifying everything what the source, destination and message transformation would be?

Ok... ;)

Domain mapping

Lets say that my spamgourmet account is mika84. And I have domain mika84.com. All I wanna do is point my XM to spamgourmet and tell that mika84 is my domain.

Instead of using address word.mika84@spamgourmet.com i would use word@mika84.com directly.

Hmm...

Optionally domain mapping without usermapping could also be possible. So mydomain.com would 100% match spamgourmet.com as it currently works.

Forwarding mode

I don't know if gourmet@spamgourmet.com works that way, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't.

But lets once again say that I have my domain mika84.com and I'm unable to control MX records. But I can configure generic mailforwarding so ANYTHING@mika84.com will be forwarded to gourmet@spamgourmet.com could spamgourmet check messages To header and process message according it.

Using selectable option of these two:

A) only domain mask. word.userid@mydomain -> word.user@mydomain

B) Instead use domain to tell also the userid as suggested above with MX support.

So was that so hard to understand? And naturally easy to use user interface for these features. I guess I don't need to draw sample pics for this? ;)

I know, my first thougs were really messy. But I had the image in my mind. It's like FBI's remote viewing... ;) I see some round shapes and purple color... Yeah, it's login window...

Yeah, writing good specs is hard, isn't it? That's what half a successful software project is about...

I unfortunately know that. I'm software project manager...

It seems that you just code... It's first very hard to get information from customer what they REALLY want before figuring real solution for that and then writing specs for coders...
mika84

Postby josh » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:51 pm

The personal domain feature currently exists as long as the username is included (eg, word.user@spamgourmet.com -> word.user@example.com), and it can be set up via MX, wild-card forwarding, or forwarding to spameater@spamgourmet.com (not gourmet). We haven't test the third alternative for awhile.

It used to be something you could set up without talking to us, but now we must do some configuration no matter what (this was necessary to support some features (or fix some bugs, depending on how you look at it :) ) recently).

We can think about the domain->user mapping thing. There are a lot of considerations, though. The way the system currently works, a small change enabling that feature could have catastrophic consequences -- say as a user, I set up mail bound for some big domain (like groups.yahoo.com) to come to me -- it could work out that I'd now be pulling all sorts of mail from other users' accounts into mine, since much of it would be destined to such a domain and CC'ed to the other users.
josh

Postby xavierg2 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:54 pm

I have done it.

I use a special domain and have set the MX to SG.

It works properly ;-)

Xavier
xavierg2

Postby mika84 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:07 pm

Yep, it works. But forwarding mail to sg could be one option and another would be attaching domain to specified user account.

I set up mail bound for some big domain (like groups.yahoo.com) to come to me -- it could work out that I'd now be pulling all sorts of mail from other users' accounts into mine, since much of it would be destined to such a domain and CC'ed to the other users.

A very good point... ;) Didn't think about that...

Regards,
Mika84
Last edited by mika84 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mika84

Postby SysKoll » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:03 am

xavierg2 wrote:I have done it.

I use a special domain and have set the MX to SG.

It works properly ;-)

Xavier

Xavier,

Please send Josh or me a private message telling us what domain it is. We need to keep track of it for the cc and bcc to work properly.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby xavierg2 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:15 pm

Josh got it.

I sent you a MP

Xavier
xavierg2

Postby mika84 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:21 pm

I don't know how many private domain "users" there are. But I'm still wondering could it be possible to map private domain to user account.

Now I need to use key.id@private.domain, in generic the basic format:

key.id@sg

After private domain "mapping", I (or us, private domain users) would only need to enter the key with the domain. Or possibly the middle part.

key@private.domain

or

key.domain@private.domain

key.sender@private.domain

key.3@private.domain

or with my suggestion about generatic "autodated" addresses with pre-termined life-time. I did understand that date format year-mm-dd would also work, max one month.

key.month@private.domain

It would be quite cool

- Thanks
mika84

Return to General Discussion