Hiding the forwarding mail adress in the mail properties

General discussion re sg.

Hiding the forwarding mail adress in the mail properties

Postby Kerberos » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:46 pm

Hi,

is it possible to hide or encrypt the forwarding mail adress in the properties of an email.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings
Kerberos
Kerberos

Postby josh » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:14 pm

Assuming you're talking about reply address masking, I can tell you this -- mail clients put return addresses in all sorts of custom header fields, and it's very difficult to weed them all out -- the way our code does it now is to hit all the standard headers that would have the protected (forwarding) address in them and replace what's there with the disposable. The code then searches the entire message for instances of the protected address, and replaces those, too. If the user's mail program is putting in a different address from the protected address in a non-standard place, it could be missed -- for instance, say I have two email addresses that go to the same place -- me@example.org, and otherme@some.example.com. I receive mail on both addresses, but my local email program thinks my return address should be me@example.org, and I sign up at spamgourmet using otherme@some.example.com as my protected address. When I reply using reply address masking, spamgourmet will hit all the standard headers and replace what's there, and it'll also look for instances of otherme@some.example.com, because that's the protected address for the account, but it may miss instances of me@example.org if they're in non-standard places.
josh

Postby Kerberos » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:48 pm

Hi josh,

I assume that only when I send mails over the spamgourmet webservice my mail adress in the background is protected.
When I send mails over my mail client in every mail recipient can read my really mail adress and is absolutely not protected.

Is there a tool or a alternative that remove or suppress this infos from the mails I send with my mail client?
Kerberos

Postby SysKoll » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:15 am

You can use a client such as pine which is very configurable and gives you total control over the headers.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Kerberos » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:05 am

Hi SysKoll,

thank you for that tip.
Is there also a tool or plugin for outlook as mail client available?

Regards
Florian
Kerberos

Postby SysKoll » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:57 pm

Florian,

Outlook is a target for many viruses, worms, Trojans and spambots around here. Googling for "virus targetting outlook" returns thousands of hits. If you are trying to regain control of your email, dump Outlook. Use Thunderbird, or Eudora, but not Outlook.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Kerberos » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:21 pm

Hi Syskoll,

I know that, I?m an Admin.
But on the other hand i love the comfort of outlook.
And it isn?t only a mail client for me.

There are always two sides ...
Kerberos

Postby josh » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:51 pm

Each MUA is different -- I'm really not familiar with too many of them in this respect.

Please note that if you are using reply address masking through spamgourmet, then you can send email straight from any email client and get the protection it offers -- this is because your message goes first to spamgourmet for the treatment described above prior to going on to the ultimate recipient.

In fact, the only way to use the feature is through your own email client -- the website only gives you a special redirection address you can use (with your client) when you want to send the first message in such a dialog (the step of getting the redirection address from the website is not necessary when replying, since the message you're replying to will have been modified by spamgourmet to make it so that your reply goes to the redirection address -- this is only if you have 'reply address masking' enabled at the time the message comes through the system).

What's missing, I suppose, is a plugin for various email clients that would do the work of coming up with that redirection address for those times you want to send the first message, saving you the trip to the website to get it. We don't have the development resources to pull that off, but would be happy to provide specifications for anyone who's interested in developing one.
josh

Postby Kerberos » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:56 am

Hi josh,

a plugin that save the way over the spamourmet website for generating the encrypted sender mail adresses would be fantastic.
Unfortunately I?m not familiar with programming. :-(
Kerberos

Postby crazycomputers » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:25 pm

josh:

I've been wanting to get into Mozilla product extensions for a while. Maybe this would give me an excuse to code a Thunderbird extension.
Real programmers don't comment their code. It was hard to write; it should be hard to understand.
crazycomputers

Postby SysKoll » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:35 pm

I've been wanting to get into Mozilla product extensions for a while. Maybe this would give me an excuse to code a Thunderbird extension.

Great! Keep up informed!
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Another Thunderbird User

Postby mysticturner » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:31 am

crazycomputers wrote:josh:

Amen to that - Are ya working on it? I'd be willing to beta test it if you write it.
mysticturner

Postby xavierg2 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:54 pm

I prefer Thunderbird, so I agree...

Xavier
xavierg2

Postby vsp » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:43 pm

josh wrote: <snip> When I reply using reply address masking, spamgourmet will hit all the standard headers and replace what's there, and it'll also look for instances of otherme@some.example.com, because that's the protected address for the account, but it may miss instances of me@example.org if they're in non-standard places. <snip>

Hello, Shouldn't the algorithm be more general than that?

Let's say my protected address is xyz1@gmail.com. I go to spamgourmet use the "Send email using SG address" feature and get an address to send the email to someone using SG. At this point the algorithm seems to indicate the SG assumes I will use my protected address to send this email. However, I may use my hotmail ID say abc@hotmail.com to send this email.

It should be very easy for SG code to detect which email ID the email came from and remove _that_ ID from all the headers rather than check for the registered/protected email ID.

Just my 2 cents

vsp
vsp

Postby josh » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:12 pm

Code: Select all
        $msg =~ s/\Q$from/$disposable/gmi;
        $msg =~ s/\Q$RealEmail/$disposable/gmi;

It does both the protected address ($RealEmail) and the from address ($from) for the entire message ($msg). Sorry for any confusion.
josh

Next

Return to General Discussion