Does not appear to be working

General discussion re sg.

Does not appear to be working

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:53 pm

I created a spamgourmet account this morning and tried to send myself some emails (from a different address than I configured for spamgourmet).

I tried sending to myself at
blahblahblahfake.20.username@spamgourmet.com
and
blahblahblahfake.20.username@neverbox.com

That was several hours ago and neither email has arrived. There is no filtering taking place on my mail server or in my client.

Can anyone suggest an explanation for why it's not working?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:54 pm

*edit* I didn't include "username" literally in the address when I sent the emails . . . I put my actual username in the address.

Thanks,
JMM

Postby SysKoll » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:33 pm

I assume you entered a forwarding address, then got the confrmation message at that address and responded to it. You did click on the confirmation link in the confirmation email, right?

Next step:
Click on the advanced mode tab, then click on "show my disposable". You should see the bahbalhblahfake "word" you created and its counter should show two forwarded messages. Can you please confirm that?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:38 pm

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that I did enter a forwarding address, I received the confirmation, and clicked the link.

Yes, I just looked at that and it shows the word and two forwarded messages, but I haven't received them.

Postby josh » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:22 pm

The biggest reason for the situation you describe is spam filtering downstream from spamgourmet -- that is, spamgourmet forwards the message to your forwarding address, and then it gets picked off by a spam filter before it gets to your mailbox.

We were incorrectly blacklisted by spamcop very recently, and have now been removed from the list. If your service provider uses spamcop for rbl based spam blocking, that could explain things. If that sounds like it could be the case, it's worth trying again now to see if the situation has been resolved.
josh

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:07 pm

Hmmmm, interesting. No, no spamcop . . . well, not exactly. BUT my email provider uses the IMail server, and I just took a look at their docs:

http://www.ipswitch.com/support/IMail/g ... Spam6.html

As the table says, IMail is configured by default to retrieve blacklists from spamcop, among other sources, so would you say that's the reason?

Can someone give me the server name / address of the server that spamgourmet sends email from? I'd like to look it up on spamcop's site and see if it's currently blacklisted. I suppose it's possible you're blacklisted by some of the other servers configured by default in IMail . . . this is not shaping up well.

Yep, that was it

Postby SysKoll » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:17 pm

As the table says, IMail is configured by default to retrieve blacklists from spamcop, among other sources, so would you say that's the reason?

Yep, that's it.

Can someone give me the server name / address of the server that spamgourmet sends email from? I'd like to look it up on spamcop's site and see if it's currently blacklisted. I suppose it's possible you're blacklisted by some of the other servers configured by default in IMail . . . this is not shaping up well.

Don't worry, we already went through all this. Look at the news for today (click on "news" on the main page or go to here.) In short, spamcop was indeed blacklisting us but we are cleared as of this morning. You can go check at the spamcop blacklist database that gourmet.spamgourmet.com is not listed anymore.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:28 pm

Christ, talk about bad timing. I've been meaning to try the service out for MONTHS, so I finally got around to it this morning. I looked up the server name and I can see that it was delisted at 12:25 today.

Thanks guys!

Return to General Discussion