worried... email has stopped arriving

General discussion re sg.

worried... email has stopped arriving

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:32 pm

Hi,

I have not received any email in my account today. This is highly unusual. I just did a test now sending to myself directly and one through spamgourmet and only the direct one arrived. Perhaps a 5 minute wait is too short? Usually it only takes a minute or so to arrive.

Is something wrong?

Thanks,
Ben

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:48 pm

Just to confirm. My direct test messages arrived and I am still waiting for the ones I sent via spamgourmet (it's getting onto 20 minutes or so) and no email since yesterday from what I can see.

Ben

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:57 pm

Okay. I can now confirm. Email is definitely not arriving. I set up 2 disposable email addresses edward1.5.my_username@xoxy.net and anna1.5.my_username@xoxy.net where INGDirect would email me. The email addresses I just noticed were created - it has Max count as 5, remaining as 4 and forwarded as 1 - but no email has been received. One which I setup with AMEX also has been created from many hours earlier but again no email has arrived. Emailing directly is no problem and I have no filters on my forwarding account since I use spamgourmet so that's where the problem lies.

I hope this can be fixed quickly...
Thanks,
Ben

Are you using spamcop as a forwarding address?

Postby SysKoll » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:53 am

I had precisely the same problem today. I was using a spamcop address as my forwarding address.

It turns out that a Nigerian spam was sent using one of my SG addressses in the forged "From:" field. Misguided spamcop users complained and the automated spamcop system put Spamgourmet on its blacklist for 48 hours. All email forwarded by Spamgourmet is kept in a "Held" folder. In order to get my email, I had to logon to Spamcop's web site and check the Held folder. SG will be out of the blacklist in another 36 hours. Not the end of the world.

Are you using spamcop? Perhaps you're using a forwarding address to an ISP that relies on spamcop's blacklist?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:58 am

I am changing my forwarding address ASAP. The address it was forwarding to was at freezone.co.uk. Is there anyway for me to get my lost email back?

Thanks,
Ben

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:16 am

After changing the forwarding address to a hotmail account my email has begun to arrive again. Thank you for helping me out! It was quite distressing "watching" the forwarded email count keep rising without receiving any. I emailed the tech support at freezone and hope they respond. Maybe I can rescue some of the lost email.

regards,
Ben

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:23 am

Skykoll, excuse my ignorance here about spamcop, but can I somehow get my email back via that service? What would I have to do?

Thanks,
Ben

Your lost freezone email

Postby SysKoll » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:04 am

spamcop is just a site that offers webmail accounts and allows people to report spam. It cannot be of any use for your problem.

Your only hope is to resolve this matter with freezone support. With a bit of luck, they can at least explain why your email vanished.
* If they don't know why your forwarded email never arrived, ask them if they use a blacklist, and if so, which one(s).
* If they use a blacklist, ask them what they do with email from blacklisted sites.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to General Discussion