Can we have an alternative domain name ?

General discussion re sg.

Can we have an alternative domain name ?

Postby Strg-Alt-Del » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:19 pm

Thanks for this special and invaluable service!

There is only one thing I dislike.
The word spam has a kind of negative taste for most people.

Sometimes I hesitate to give other people one of my spamgourmet adresses especially when I tell them my adress personally because it seems to me that it has a touch of being not serious or using a not serious mail service (they don´t know what spamgourmet really is).

Is it possible that you offer a,... let me say more neutral alternative adress...?

Thanks again
Strg-Alt-Del

Postby anon » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:06 am

from the FAQ

Q. I think they're on to me - are there any other domains I can use besides spamgourmet.com?
A. Yes - you can use spamgourmet.net, spamgourmet.org, spamcannon.net, antichef.com, antichef.net, neverbox.com, recursor.net, and xoxy.net just as if they were spamgourmet.com. Best to pick one and stick with it, since that will make it easier to remember your disposable addresses if you have to.

Note: and, as of January 3, 2002, you can use a word instead of a number -- the system will use the English alphabetical position of the first letter of the word for the number (see above for details). If do this and use another domain, the addresses get pretty hard to recognize.
anon

Postby Strg-Alt-Del » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:09 pm

Wow, thanks for the clue! - Now I found out that spamgourmet is even better and has more features than I already thought! :D

Thanks for not answering with a RTFM..... :oops:
I never read the FAQ section, because the links in the top line seem to be broken with my (slim)browser (I receive a "page not found") for the most topics (on the german page). The small links at the bottom work perfectly. I crosschecked this with a second PC but there it worked flawless.
Strg-Alt-Del

Postby Strg-Alt-Del » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:10 pm

Wow, thanks for the clue! - Now I found out that spamgourmet is even better and has more features than I already thought! :D

Thanks for not answering with a RTFM..... :oops:
I never read the FAQ section, because the links in the top line seem to be broken with my (slim)browser (I receive a "page not found") for the most topics (on the german page). The small links at the bottom work perfectly. I crosschecked this with a second PC but there it worked flawless.
Strg-Alt-Del

what's your browser?

Postby SysKoll » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:08 pm

What is your browser (type, version and OS)? And what exactly are the broken links? We'll try to fix it.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Strg-Alt-Del » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:21 am

Sorry for the late reply, I was on a business trip for some weeks.

> What is your browser (type, version and OS)?
I'm using the "Slimbrowser" v.382 build003 (the problem already occured with former versions)
My OS is XP Home ed.

http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/sbrowser.htm
Note: SB is an extension package for the IE.

I found out that the problem only appears when the integrated popup-killer is activated. When I disable the popup-killer, the links work as they should.
Maybe the behaviour of the links make the popup-killer "think" that the new openeing window is a popup and suppresses it.

> And what exactly are the broken links?
Main navigation line over the tabs "no-brainer mode" / "advanced mode":

discuss - OK
news - does not open
FAQ - does not open
links - does not open
support - OK
downloads - does not open
team - does not open
donate - does not open
store - does not open

Surprisingly the smaller, but same links at the bottom line work perfectly.
Strg-Alt-Del

Broken popups

Postby SysKoll » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:54 pm

The links are not broken, they are suppressed by your popup blocking. I can duplicate the phenomenon under Galeon on Linux with popups blocked. Unfortunately, most browsers don't distinguish between requested popups (such as these links) and unrequested (such as pesky ads).

As you mentioned, the fix is to turn the popups back on. Download Mozilla for Win32 (www.mozilla.org) so that you can have popups appear in separate tabs.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Strg-Alt-Del » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:28 pm

I already use Mozilla Firebird with the integrated Firebird popup killer (you see I´m not only hating spam :evil: , but also these pesty ads (=online spam) :evil: ) for anonymous browsing together with "JAP" -> http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~hf2/anon/

With a rightclick on the links I have the option to open the link in another browser window (as you already mentioned) - but only the working links (as stated in my last post) can be opened.

The thing that makes me curious is, why the bottom line links are all working ??? They´re links to the same pages aren´t they.
So something must be different ....

I have no big personal problems with these non functional links on spamgourmet, but I notice more and more pages don´t want to open.
Maybe this can be a chance to learn how to prevent frustration by programming popupkiller- proof webpages since more and more people don´t want to be spammed while surfing and use such tools :wink:
Strg-Alt-Del

Links vs. javascript

Postby SysKoll » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:59 pm

In one case, at the bottom, the links are "real" HREFs. At the top, the link trigger JavaScript openwindow function. Left-clicking on them in Mozilla creates a separate window or tab.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

recursor.net

Postby tcgraham » Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:46 pm

I tried to send a message to recursor.net in the following format and got a error message that address (recursor.net) could not be found.

name.count.myusername@recursor.net

Advise
Tom Graham
tcgraham

Just tested recursor.net

Postby SysKoll » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:43 pm

I just tested it (sent a message to my account at recursor.net) and it works fine.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:15 am

Tom,
If you get a chance, could you forward that error message to the "info" contact at spamgourmet.com? It would be interesting to see the headers.

Josh
josh

Return to General Discussion