We need a "send-mail" button

General discussion re sg.

We need a "send-mail" button

Postby Anonymous749832741932 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:27 pm

Hello,

every now and then I need to send email to a suspicious address. So I think a "send-mail" button would be useful. How about implementing it? Thanks
Anonymous749832741932

Postby josh » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:06 pm

This one has been on the list for quite awhile -- we've been tied up with abuse prevention concerns, but I think we're starting to move (slowly :)) toward implementation.
josh

Postby sitary » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:51 pm

Add me to the list of users that would find this useful.

In the meantime, is there any other way to reply back or send email to an address using my SG address without giving away my real address? Kind of like a spammer, eh?
sitary

"mask" option

Postby SysKoll » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:24 pm

Make sure you have turned on the "mask sending address" in the advanced option.
Once someone has sent you an email on one of your SG addresses, you can reply and SG will replace whatever sending address you have with your SG address.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Strg-Alt-Del » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:50 pm

A SEND button is indeed the only, but important feature that I miss.
I sometimes want to subscribe to a mailing list, but I don´t do because you often have to send a "subscribe-mail". Then I don´t do because I don´t want to give away my real mail adress.

> .... we've been tied up with abuse prevention concerns

you´re right, this could be abused, but there are several other remailer systems out there....

maybe you could prevent abuse this by a kind of registration specially for people who want to use THIS special service or try to find another "trusted user" system....
Strg-Alt-Del

Postby josh » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:17 pm

We have a thread on this over in the developer forum:

http://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.php?t=77

if you're interested.
josh

Postby miniscus » Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:53 am

Josh wrote (to someone):
We're getting s-o-o close to the "send the first message" feature that we dare not stray

Thank you for your persistent discipline! :wink:

I have no idea of your progress in detail - or the multiple problems -, and do not want to push. Its strictly about emotional support:

I quess there's coming up a big day for SG!

Thx loads! :) :) :)
Arick
miniscus

Thanks for the support!

Postby SysKoll » Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:33 am

Now we just have to convince Josh to stop trying to excell at his day job of at having a life during weekends... :-)
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby DrStrabismus » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:08 pm

I would have thought that even if this feature were implemented most people would be better off downloading a copy of popcorn and using that instead. This is a very lightweight freeware email client that lets you freely edit the from address on the compose page. Fastmail.fm allows the same thing from webmail, even on free accounts.
DrStrabismus

You still need a gateway

Postby SysKoll » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:45 pm

DrStrabismus,

Popcorn is just an email client (POP to read mail, SMTP to send). It's closed source and does not run on anything but Windows, so I cannot test it.

However, an email client, regardiess of its version, still needs to send email to an upstream server using SMTP. There is no way SG will ever accept SMTP connections -- too spammer-friendly. So an SMTP client would not help here. I'm afraid we need to do the work ourselves. :-)
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

OT - Question on the side

Postby miniscus » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:59 pm

I've downloaded Popcorn from ultrafunk.com to test it, but ...

In ultrafunks forum you can read about peeps having other emails deleted than intentioned. Popcorn uses FIFO on the accounts, but some servers use RFC (?)-Proposed ID, others don't, and all are in compliance with.... - I dunno. Their Server is down, cannot trust IE either, so I can't check up on it. What a mess! :shock: (bad day)

While googling around, I found http://www.radsoft.net/resources/softwa ... pcorn.html , which supported some of my forum-impressions - and gave me the final shock. :shock: (worse day)

I got stuck with radsoft, because they bluntly write what my heart is cautiously screaming all along, and much more - hardly bearable to a WINsucker like me. But I can't tell, really...

Now I somewhat trust you guys, what is this radsoft thing? Is it worth reading their newsletter?

Thanks for any help,
Arick, who's fed up with LOSS-spending in WIN-mending
miniscus

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:17 pm

I wasn't suggesting you read your mail with popcorn, just use it for sending new SG addresses if you normally use another client that makes setting "from" difficult. There are many other clients that allow this on linux, windows, and other OSes, I use Pine on FreeBSD, linux and windows.

Most people with an ISP account can relay arbitary from addresses via their ISP's smtp server. If you can't then, then it's just as easy to open a Fastmail account and send from there, as it is to go to spamgourmet. (There are probably other free webmail services that allow this, I just happen to use Fastmail).

When I read this thread I couldn't understand why anyone cared about this feature, when it's so simple to send these messages by other means. It assumed it must be just people using OE, which is why I suggested popcorn as an auxillary.

Postby DrStrabismus » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:21 pm

Oops, I posted the above without logging-in, I wasn't aware that was possible.
DrStrabismus

Postby SysKoll » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:37 pm

Most people with an ISP account can relay arbitary from addresses via their ISP's smtp server. If you can't then, then it's just as easy to open a Fastmail account and send from there, as it is to go to spamgourmet. (There are probably other free webmail services that allow this, I just happen to use Fastmail).

That's true. However, this requires using another web site for outgoing email if the user doesn't have an ISP that allows arbitrary "From" addresses. This makes SG harder to use.

Our goal is to make SG as painless as possible, so that it's a viable response to the prevalence of spam. Eventually, Josh hopes that other webmasters will grab the SG code and clone the site. For this to happen, the "send-mail" feature seems indispensable.

So yes, you're right, we could do without this feature, but so many people are clamoring for it that this is a priority.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to General Discussion