Address categorization in addition to hiding

General discussion re sg.

Address categorization in addition to hiding

Postby crazycomputers » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:18 pm

It would be handy to be able to categorize addresses into different groups instead of just the "hide" option. Then I can get a list of all of my addresses, or just addresses in a certain category (e.g. "humans", "purchases", "newsletters", etc.). Which category an address is in should not affect its functionality in any way, similar to the fact that hiding an address doesn't turn it off.

I do not ask that there be a way to specify the categorization in the address itself; this would require a lot of work and would only make the addressing system even more confusing.

There could be a default, undeletable category "unfiled" for new addresses. Whether this is a pseudo-category that really checks for addresses that don't have an existing category, or addresses are automatically assigned to the unfiled category doesn't matter.

The existing "hide address" option should not be removed if this is implemented, though. If an address has been expired for a while, I don't want to see it, but I do want it to remain in the category that it's in. Basically what I'm saying is that I wouldn't like if it a new pseudo-category "hidden" were created, because I would have to move an address out of its category to hide it.

I know this would be a big project, and would require a lot more space on your database server, but it would make sg that much more attractive to me. (Not that if it's not added I will leave -- sg is the best thing that ever happened to email, IMHO.) If I had the time and energy, I'd try to code it using the open-source code myself and send you a patch. Maybe I will someday.
Real programmers don't comment their code. It was hard to write; it should be hard to understand.
crazycomputers

Postby josh » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:25 pm

wow -- we can start thinking about it...
josh

Return to General Discussion