hosting

General discussion re sg.

hosting

Postby josh » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:01 pm

At some point this year, our hosting contract will come up -- at that point, we'll hopefully be ready to consider the *possibility* of an alternative hosting provider. We've been very happy with Hurricane Electric over the years, and will have a strong bias toward staying, but it only makes sense to think about what else is out there -- our hosting costs are now above our income (ad revenue plus donations -- the ad revenue has fallen in recent months), and so I suppose cost is a consideration.

Our current contract is for 1 megabit per second - we have root on the main server. Any provider would have to be prepared to handle DOS attacks (we get those) and the like. Currently, we run the website on another server, but it would be nice to combine it.

I should say the HE's service is really good -- 24 hour live telephone support with direct access to the server ("eyes and hands"), with incidents lasting under 15 minutes free (even if there are many of them in the space of a few hours). We haven't had to do that much, but when we have it's been huge, and has prevented a lot of downtime.

Anyone know of a good place to look?
josh

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:18 pm

Well, how about Westhost? They have many packages that range between the personal and the commercial and all for relatively low prices.

They have endless features and, although not exactly real root, they give you virtual root (via VPS).

As far as support, they have 24/7 e-mail and phone support. But most importantly, they also have a livechat for long duration of the time.

In any case, their packages' page lists everything they have.

If you end up using them, I wouldn't mind giving you my referal ;-)

Postby SpicoliSocal » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:08 pm

how about pair.com? They seem suited to the big league, but their customer service is wildly lacking for us small fish. They donate resources to non-profits and community services. You seem like you'd fit in one of those two categories. I left pair because they weren't flexible for small fish, but I have no animosity. They have quick turnovers on customer support and are VERY knowledgable.
SpicoliSocal

Postby c0mplex » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:05 pm

If you need to find quality hosting in short time, try

www.webhostingjury.com or other hosting reviews sites...

Mozilla FireFox is the best!
Knowledge Management
c0mplex

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:39 pm

Try http://prettyredstar.com/ tell Elmore, Opus sent you.

Return to General Discussion