Best spamgourmet strategy?

General discussion re sg.

Best spamgourmet strategy?

Postby tut21 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:49 am

I'm a new spamgourmet user and I'm already a big fan of the service. A big thank you to the developers and I'm going to donate a few bucks.

From what I've read spamgourmet seems reliable and trustworthy for a free service. Nevertheless, the more e-mail addresses I convert to spamgourmet the more I worry about having all of my e-mail pass through a single checkpoint that may go down for several days despite the best efforts of the administrators.

So I need some advice. Is it a bad idea to use spamgourmet for everything but personal e-mail? If I never want to give out my private e-mail address to anyone but friends should I create other e-mail accounts that forward me my important e-mail (from slightly more trustworthy sources) while using spamgourmet for unimportant stuff?
tut21

Postby SysKoll » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:58 am

You're summing up the whole problem. Josh put countless hours in the site, and I try to give a hand. We both are completely overwhelmed by $DAYJOB, and that hampers our availablitity to code new features. The only reason we do that is that we hate spammers and we have tolerant spouses.

This is strictly a best-effort site, and as such, it comes without warranties. So super-duper important email shouldn't go through spamgourmet. Of course, it remains to be seen whether a commercial provider would give you any kind of service in case of lost email.

What we need is an enterprising soul to download the code and set up a commercially supported version of the site so that you can call a number and complain if you don't get your email. This would not preclude the existence of sg as a free site, of course.

To conclude, let's just say this: If you use a free email service and get in trouble because said site lost an important email, you'll come out as a cheapskate who got shafted because he chose to use a free service. If you use a commercial emai service and the same thing happens, you are a victim of unforeseeable circumstances who got shafted in spite of paying for his email. Same thing, different perception. That's the only real difference.

Paying for a service allows you to bitch in the uncarring ears of an underpaid Indian tech support rep. BUT: if lost email gets you in trouble, you won't be the one to blame. Nobody would accept liability in any case, but you'd come out clean.
Last edited by SysKoll on Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby tut21 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:16 am

I came to the same conclusion.

Does anyone have favorite strategies on how to go about it? I'm leaning towards one private e-mail for friends, another Gmail account for important stuff and spamgourmet for the rest but I'm looking for better ideas.
tut21

Postby SysKoll » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:26 am

My friends get infected with viruses regularly, or worse, they send me email with a ton of other people in the CC list, and one of the CC guys has this Windows box on cable modem without a hardware firewall and is owned by 17 different Trojans. So my "for friends" email gets spammed regularly.

Needless to say, all my friends email me to a spamgourmet address now.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to General Discussion