A '.' char on a line by its own in the forwarded message

General discussion re sg.

A '.' char on a line by its own in the forwarded message

Postby vsp » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:50 am

Hi,

I posted (through SG) recently to a mailing list that I gave an SG address to. The post described an error in executing a command.

The output of the command was around 200 lines with an error in the last 10 lines. I wanted to start the output from the beginning - say 10 lines - indicate some sort of continuation and then provide the last 10-15 lines that had the error. I used . in a line by itself for 3 lines kind of like a vertical ellipsis (...) to indicate the continuation.

When I received the email back from that mailing list, I saw that SG had forwarded only the lines upto the beginning of the ellipsis - I am assuming it was SG (could it have been the mailing list software?). So, the SG service kind of truncated my message because of the '.' on a line by itself.

Is this possibly due to a bug in SG - can it be fixed? (Or is it a bug in the mailing list software on the target mail server?)

Thanks,
vsp
vsp

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:10 pm

Well, a different convention for expressing continuation could be the string "<snip>" on a line by itself, but I am interested in hearing from the SG developers about my original post

vsp

Postby SysKoll » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:32 pm

That's werd. Could you please paste the full text that you attempted to send in a private message to me?

Thanks.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

'.' char in a line by itself

Postby vsp » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:02 am

Done

SysKoll wrote:That's werd. Could you please paste the full text that you attempted to send in a private message to me?

Thanks.
vsp

Postby SysKoll » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:35 am

Got it. I'm going to see if I can replicate this error.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby SysKoll » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:41 am

YUp, that's a bug all right. I opened a thread on the developper forum about it.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to General Discussion