unwanted address

General discussion re sg.

unwanted address

Postby baub26 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:58 pm

Hello

Someone (not me :wink: ) has created a new address of my account. This was made by simply add "16" before an existing address that had messages counter to 0. If i choose to add watchwords, the problem is the same and it's not efficient.May be prefix will be more efficient ?
Help is welcome. thank you
Bernard
PS. Excuse my english but i'm french and french people are not so good for foreign language :D
baub26

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:07 am

Don't worry about your English, it is just fine. I am American, and American people are also 'not so good for foreign language.' In many cases, they are 'not so good for' their own language, either, ha-ha.

In answer to your question:

Do you know about spamgourmet prefixes? Log in to your account, click 'Advanced Mode', and scroll down to the bottom of the page for an explanation and the form for setting your prefix.

I agree that the prefix is more 'efficient' than the watchword, since using a prefix saves all 20 characters of the address word for contact identification.

Note that the prefix is also 20 characters maximum.

If you make the very large assumption that a spammer will go to the trouble to find and modify your spamgourmet address in his list,
you must realize that there is no way to stop him from creating at least one 'new address of your account'; but, once you catch him, you change your prefix [or delete the watchword which was used], and he is stopped. You can always hide the new address in your display and set its number of messages to zero.

I would suspect that your new address was created by accident, by bad typing or a bug in someone's spam software. On rare occasions I have had similar experiences, such as the time a spammer cut off the first part of one of my addresses. All spam to the original address stopped. Instead, the partial address now received the spam from the original sender [the spammer to whom I had given the original address], and the spammer eventually traded the PARTIAL address to others [who sent me more spam].

Creation of new addresses is not such a bad thing, since we have prefixes or watchwords to control it.

Return to General Discussion