E-mails not being forwarded? Try this ...

General discussion re sg.

E-mails not being forwarded? Try this ...

Postby bzorro » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:26 pm

Try disabling "reply address masking". This made my problems with missing e-mails go away. Apparently quite a lot of mail hosts (including hotmail.com, tiscali.dk, endelave.net and get2net.dk) don't like the format of masked reply addresses.

bzorro
bzorro

Postby lwc » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:18 pm

When you say "mail hosts", I assume you mean webmail hosts?
lwc

webmail hosts?

Postby bzorro » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:30 pm

Actually no. What I meant was "Mail Servers".

bzorro
bzorro

Postby lwc » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:30 pm

The only thing unique in those addresses are a couple of "+"s and one "#".

If you're sure there's a problem, maybe you can substitute those two characters with escape codes.

I assume we need to use HTML escape codes (as opposed to URL escape codes) so that would mean:
1) + = &bla#43;
2) # = &bla#35;
(the "bla" is just so the forum won't do the switch itself...you will need to remove it, of course).

So first of all try it and report back. Your report may help to determine a solution (and if not, at least you may have a manual solution - for example, I can build a VBScript that takes an address and switches those characters into their escape codes).
Last edited by lwc on Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lwc

Postby bzorro » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:46 pm

lwc wrote:The only thing unique in those addresses are a couple of "+"s and one "#".

*snip*

So first of all try it and report back. Your report may help to determine a solution (and if not, at least you may have a manual solution - for example, I can build a VBscript that takes an addresses and switches those characters).

Apparently those characters in the sender address do not block reception. I tried sending e-mails from an address containing these characters and they got accepted just fine. So there was probably just a connection in time, not in causality between disabling "reply address masking" and my e-mails getting through.

bzorro.
bzorro

Return to General Discussion