Yahoo.de seams to steal the spamgourmet idea!

General discussion re sg.

Yahoo.de seams to steal the spamgourmet idea!

Postby JWD » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:43 pm

Hi,

dont't know if you already heard of this... I just saw today that Yahoo is copying the SG disposable address idea! Bastards!
They offer the service on German language accounts, haven't found it yet on my yahoo.com Account.

They offer disposable addresses of the following format:

individualname-disposablename@yahoo.de

They offer up to 500 disposable names per account; the service seems to be not as convenient as SG but still...

bye
JWD
JWD

Postby SysKoll » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:44 pm

More power to them. I would like to see more disposable services on the Internet. It would stop dead in its track the habit of collecting addresses on the web, because most of these addresses would be invalid.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:57 pm

absolutely -- we've seen that disposable email addresses work really well, and I think we'd all agree that the more implementations there are, the better.
josh

same in HK

Postby tw » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:38 pm

yahoo.hk also offers the same service. i've tried and found that it's useless. the yahoo filter will automatically filter all emails sent to this disposable email to the junk folder. spamgourmet is much better.
tw

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:54 pm

Sorry for my ignorance - I don't use Yahoo. Can't you disable the filter? If not, can you create a POSITIVE filter that SELECTS the disposables [detecting the address format or whatever] and puts them in their own folder? If worst comes to worst, can you run a script or boolean query of your own that will 'find' all the disposables in the junk folder?

I agree with the other posters - the more disposable services, the better.

Postby zmjayz » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:33 pm

I think JWD forgot that SG's goal, as stated, isn't triumph over others offering the same. It wouldn't make sense for a non-profit foundation to compete for non-paying "customers." :wink:

What I find interesting is that Yahoo is mentioned as providing something similar. Awhile back, when setting up a new Yahoo (free) email account, they wouldn't accept any of the SG domains in an OPTIONAL secondary address. I emailed Josh about it at the time, since Yahoo's rejection was high praise for what's being done here. :)

I can only guess they wanted to spam the back-up address, if given, & didn't want to waste "good spam" by sending it to be eaten. If they wanted that second addy for legitimate reasons, they'd accept all domains. :roll:
zmjayz

Yahoo refusing SG addresses.

Postby mysticturner » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:08 pm

Yahoo is doing something relative to SG addresses. I'm moving to a new email account and my stated direction is that NO ONE gets the real address. I tried to update my Yahoo! account to list a SG address for the groups I belong to. No email from it - only to the old email address. I'm looking for alternatives (I'm going to try some of the alternate domains). Any ideas?
mysticturner

Postby mysticturner » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:45 am

Managed to get Yahoo to allow forwarding to the dfgh.net domain.
mysticturner

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:25 am

Flawed.

Spammers can set up filters to strip out the disposable name portion to obtain your real Yahoo address.

Part of the reason why SpamGourmet works is that the recipient's domain is kept a secret, so any spammer cannot reasonably figure out the real address, short of pure guesswork.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:52 am

But I don't use Yahoo for my email. I'm a member of a group. Posts to that group are forwarded to a SG address of xxx.yyy@dfgh.net and reply masking is turned on. The email comes through SG and is IDed as an exclusive sender and forwarded to my true email address, with a modified header for reply purposes. Posts would be done via SG to create a hidden address.

What's the flaw?

Return to General Discussion