What is difference between trusted and exclusive senders?

General discussion re sg.

What is difference between trusted and exclusive senders?

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:42 pm

What is the difference between "trusted" and "exclusive" senders?

I have not been able to find a clear, concise explanation of the difference between "trusted" and "exclusive" senders (-- but perhaps I missed something). From reviewing the application screens, FAQ and forums, I'm under the impression that:

A trusted sender is allowed to send to any address of an SG account. For example, a trusted sender could send to a.sgacct@spamgourmet.com, b.sgacct@spamgourmet.com, c.sgacct@spamgourmet.com.

An exclusive sender is allowed to send only to a specific address of an SG account. For example, an exclusive sender could send to a.sgacct@spamgourmet.com, but not b.sgacct@spamgourmet.com or c.sgacct@spamgourmet.com.

In both cases, the remaining message count would not be decremented.

I understand that spamgourmet is designed to:

(a) allow only one exclusive sender per ADDRESS (for example, a.sgacct@spamgourmet.com). (However, per the forum thread, a pipe ("|") can be used to workaround this.)

(b) allow multiple trusted senders per ACCOUNT (for example, sgacct@spamgourment.com).
--

Where to add/edit/delete trusted and exclusive senders?

Trusted senders are maintained on the main "advanced mode" page.

Exclusive senders are maintained in the "update address" window (via "advanced mode" > "search addresses" box > click on "word" (first column) > "update address" window).
--

A lot of my confusion was caused by an initial misinterpretation that trusted and exclusive senders were synonymous -- which they aren't. The purpose of posting this summary is to help others that may also get confused (-- as well as to invite feedback/corrections from others if I'm still confused! <smile>)

SG is a great product and will sure be useful to me in the future.

Postby josh » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:04 am

thanks!

One other difference is that trusted senders use "domain" style matching and exclusive senders use "regex" style matching.

For instance, a trusted sender of 'example.com' would match host1.example.com, host2.example.com, etc. -- but not example.org. A trusted sender of 'com' would match [anything].com

An exclusive sender of 'example' would match host1.example.com, host5.example.org, example.somethingelse.com, etc. An exclusive sender of '.' (without the quotes) matches anything.
josh

What is the relationship bet trusted & exclusive senders

Postby jiminalaska » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:48 pm

Point of clarification: What is the relationship between trusted senders and exclusive senders?

I assume that we are dealing with logical OR relationships: That is, if an email from address matches any of the trusted senders OR the exclusive sender, it will be forwarded. Is that correct?

[Another possible interpretation/implementation is that the exclusive sender the one and only valid sender to that address -- and that trusted senders are not authorized to send to addresses that have exclusive senders defined.]
jiminalaska

Postby josh » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:20 pm

It's an "or" relationship. I kick myself for the terminology on those two, and I'm open to suggestions for changing them.
josh

Return to General Discussion