Emails being butchered by SG?

General discussion re sg.

Postby tracyanne » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:22 am

I have having trouble receiving emails from a company that uses Lotus Notes.

A number of strange things occur.

1) the from address contains extra characters, date and time as in

From: "+xxxxxx+tracyanne+4c1a06e9ce.MAshbury#xxxxxx.xxx.xx 29/10/2004 02":36:49.PM@spamgourmet.com

and the attachment while there, and viewable as base64 does not get processed as an attachment. The same email sent to my Hotmail account is quite ok, with no strange text in the From field and an accessible attachment.

I'd like to show this to one of the developers but I don't want to post the email content in open because the headers contain information I want to keep secret.
tracyanne

Postby SysKoll » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:44 pm

Tracyanne,

Send the full headers to the info address (at spamgourmet.com). Only Josh will receive it.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:38 pm

yeah -- I don't know what's happening to the attachment. The code doesn't touch the message body for incoming mail. It looks like you have reply address masking enabled, and the code choked on whatever format the sender was using for the from address. Seeing the headers would be very helpful. Also, seeing the headers for the other message that didn't go through spamgourmet would be extremely helpful.
josh

Postby tracyanne » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:51 am

Thanks I will send both shortly
tracyanne

Postby tracyanne » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:03 am

Yes I do have reply address masking enabled
tracyanne

Postby josh » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:00 am

I replied privately -- it looks like SG is having a hard time with multi-line headers. Hopefully we can get that addressed soon.
josh

Postby tracyanne » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:51 am

josh wrote:I replied privately -- it looks like SG is having a hard time with multi-line headers. Hopefully we can get that addressed soon.

Interesting, I didn't get the private reply.
tracyanne

Re: Emails being butchered by SG?

Postby tracyanne » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:57 am

tracyanne wrote:
josh wrote:I replied privately -- it looks like SG is having a hard time with multi-line headers. Hopefully we can get that addressed soon.

Interesting, I didn't get the private reply.

It seems that SpamGourmet has a problem with attachments from Novel Groupwise servers as well.
tracyanne

Postby SysKoll » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:13 am

Tracyanne,

Check the lines at the top of this window under "discussion forums for spamgourmet". It should say "You have no new messages" when you have no private message, otherwise click on it. You are probably using a popup blocker that is a bit indiscriminate.

What's special with the Novell Groupwise attachments? How big are they?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Lotus Notes do work

Postby lwc » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:44 pm

I have the same trouble too only for me it "just" opened up an exclusive address called "what@ever.com pm" instead of just "what@ever.com" (although later on the eaten log reported eating up messages coming in from "what@ever.com am").

Is there a chance the PM is the result of this header?
Code: Select all
PMMIME-Version: 1.0

Josh, I've also PMed you the rest of the headers.
Last edited by lwc on Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lwc

Postby tracyanne » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:38 am

SysKoll wrote:Tracyanne,

Check the lines at the top of this window under "discussion forums for spamgourmet". It should say "You have no new messages" when you have no private message, otherwise click on it. You are probably using a popup blocker that is a bit indiscriminate.

What's special with the Novell Groupwise attachments? How big are they?

I have a popup blocker that stops unrequested pop ups (it's the Mozilla pop up blocker)

the following text is what I see

bbs.spamgourmet.com
discussion forums for spamgourmet

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

I can't log in as it won't accept my userid and password, although the system seems quite happy to allow me to post.

The attachments from the Novell Groupwise server are about the same size as the attachment from the Lotus Notes server - they are all MS word Documents containing Selection Criteria for Jobs in Canberra, about 15 to 20 KB when decoded.
tracyanne

Re: turning the popup blocker off makes no difference.

Postby tracyanne » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:41 am

When I attempt to log in I get the following message

You have specified an incorrect or inactive username, or an invalid password.

Click Here to try again

Click Here to return to the Index
tracyanne

Postby SysKoll » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:10 am

Tracyanne,

Did you register on bbs.spamgourmet.com ? The BBS uses its own userID and password. Just having a spamgourmet user ID doesn't make you registered on the BBS. You need a separate user ID and password.

I see a tracyanne user who just joined, so I think you already figured that out.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby lwc » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:17 pm

Josh, SOS! :shock:

You have neither replied to my post nor to my PMs and now I keep losing each and every mail that is sent to this address!

If this goes on, I think my eaten messages log may explode soon...

Help!
lwc

Postby lwc » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:23 am

Alright, Josh has fixed the problem. The AM/PM, that somehow Spamgourmet thought Lotus Notes added to the FROM, is now history.
I guess it really was a case of bad handling of multi lines headers (the AM/PM was in a line of its own).

Thanks!

So does it mean that all programs that multi line headers should work now (and not only Lotus Notes)?
lwc

Return to General Discussion