Plus Addressing Support

General discussion re sg.

Plus Addressing Support

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:25 am

I'd like to get Plus Addressing support. All you would do is add in a a text box for each address and a global setting for the separator character, specified separately in case you change providers and they use a different character and you don't want to modify the + to a - on 300 addresses.

Separator character: [+]
Plus Address: [Lists]

Mail to that address would forward to :
forward+Lists AT myemail

Since SpamGourmet would explicitly support plus addressing, support for domain addressing would not be necessary.

I switched a bunch of plus addressed aliases to lists & forums over to Spamgourmet and I was disappointed to discover that there was no way to work with the plus system. I had to write filter rules for them all.

Postby josh » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:59 pm

a simple way to approach that would be to make it an on/off option, then use the "word" as the item that comes after the plus, for instance, for the sg user spamcowboy, who's forwarding address is hoss@example.com, the feature would work as follows:

word1.3.spamcowboy@spamgourmet.com -> hoss+word1@example.com

word2.spamcowbody@xoxy.net -> hoss+word2@example.com

Are these systems standard enough to where that would take care of most of them?
josh

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:17 am

The question is whether or not users want to be forced to use the word as their folder name. While a very clever way to add in plus addressing with almost no UI change, this would block a few things:

You can't change the folder redirection once the keyword has been selected without making up a new address.

IHateYourCrap.spamcowboyATspamgourmet.com -> hoss+NotCrappyAnymoreATexample.com

You can't redirect several lists into the same folder.

d'etroiteNews.spamcowboyATspamgourmet.com -> hoss+newsATexample.com 8)
undernews.spamcowboyATspamgourmet.com -> hoss+newsATexample.com

You can't send to a subfolder, at least not with any address format already described.

SGList.spamcowboyATspamgourmet.com -> hoss+lists.SpamGourmetATexample.com

However you might choose to interpret lists.SGList.1.userATspamgourmet.com, you cannot simultaneously support both the above features.

Your simplified techinque is based on the idea that SG addresses tend to be remade constantly so if you want something filed to a different folder, make up another address. You think primarily in basic mode, which without any controls, it's really a stay-out-of-advanced-mode mode. This is fine if SpamGourmet is only a stepping stone by which partly trusted senders graduate to fully trusted sender at which time they are subscribed with a direct address.

Since I consider all senders as untrusted forever with the only variant being the size of the distrust vector, my technique sees SG as a permanent link between me and those with the greatest ChangeDifficulty*Distrust vectors where links are persistent as long as spam does not interfere with the desired messages. SG allows me to specify the Terms and Conditions my for my address and then terminate the contract when use or misuse breaks it. I'm assuming that exclusive senders continue to forward after the counter hits 0. Basic mode is too much busywork creating new addresses constantly. Advanced mode is set-it-and-forget-it until a problem arises.

Spamgourmet as an interlink allows me to change email providers and hundreds of occasional use forwarding accounts follow me. I can terminate any single spam source with little inconvience. With Plus Addressing, it can also be my no-errors filing clerk that I can rearrange any time. Anything that generates serious volume, attachments, or two way traffic I generate an alias for rather than running that traffic through SG.

Return to General Discussion