[req] Address that expires on specified date

General discussion re sg.

[req] Address that expires on specified date

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:11 pm

Hi all!

I'd appreciate a feature to use addresses that do not expire after a certain number of received messages but at a certain date specified in the address, for example <user.expires.2004-09-09@spamgourmet.com>.

My intention: I want to use such addresses in usenet. I could use addresses that are valid for e.g. 4 weeks and use a new one every 2 weeks in the "From:"-Header. This ensures that everyone can reply to me up to at least two weeks after my post (usenet is about ''news", isn't it? :wink: ).
If i'm able to write a little script which automagically reconfigures my news client every 2 weeks, I could do so without any further manual work, thanks to the fact that spamgourmet addresses are created automatically on reception.

Sebastian

Postby jbs » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:31 pm

You may already know about this service, and there are doubtless others, but www.jetable.org will allow you to create time-limited forwarding email addresses.
jbs

Re: [req] Address that expires on specified date & Alias

Postby mika84 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:34 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hi all!
I'd appreciate a feature to use addresses that do not expire after a certain number of received messages but at a certain date specified in the address, for example <user.expires.2004-09-09@spamgourmet.com>.
Sebastian

I like that option to set expire date. I also would love to have that alias support. user.alias.user@spamgourmet.com.example. Infinite account, until user disables it using web interface or upcoming(?) email control system.

Maybe timed system could be in simplified form, just lskadjflasdf.050101.user@spamgourmet.com.example. If "number" field contains 6 numbers date YYMMDD it would be used as date.

Any other ideas? I still wonder why that alias thing isn't done yet.

Regards,
sg040829.20.mika84@spamgourmet.com
mika84

Postby Sebastian » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:11 pm

jbs wrote:You may already know about this service, and there are doubtless others, but www.jetable.org will allow you to create time-limited forwarding email addresses.

Spamgourmet is the only service I know that creates addresses on first use, which is an important feature for the purpose I described. In addition, jetable generates only addresses for max. 8 days, which is too less for me.
I checked several services but did not find any that suits my needs. :( But thanks for your hint anyway!

I forgot in my original post: The "expire on date" has another advantage for sg: it does not require any status storage after the address has been expired. In contrast, the current system must store every address that has ever been used, which is a monotonical increasing amount of storage size.
Sebastian

Postby josh » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:14 pm

Did you look at mailexpire ( http://www.mailexpire.com )? It uses date-driven logic.

When the idea for spamgourmet occured to me in summer 2000, I wasn't aware that there were any disposable address services in existence -- I didn't find out about them until much later. I now know of two that pre-date spamgourmet (there may be others) -- sneakemail ( http://www.sneakemail.com ) and mailexpire. Mailexpire went away for awhile, but it's back now.

I'm not trying sound pessimistic about the possiblity of us adding date driven logic :) (we've already added support for it in the database), but if you need it now, it's worth checking them out.
josh

Different options, date, alias, counter and one service...

Postby mika84 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:05 am

But hey! I like spamgourmet. Why could one service offer several different aproaches. And for different uses you might like to use different style.

Like for service that I'm going to use for a long time, but I'm not sure about the service, I might like to use alias. Same with some other contacts.

On public announces and others, I might like to use date filter.

In some cases I would like to use old counter system. If I think I'll evaluate some person before telling other address I would use old system. After a while, I would like to tell him to use alias instead of counter.

If the address still leaks, I could login and disable that address. Problem with sneakemail is that you'll need to login to create that address. I think that spamgourmet is handier.

Best Regards,
Mika84
mika84

Re: [req] Address that expires on specified date

Postby Sebastian » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:48 am

josh wrote:Did you look at mailexpire ( http://www.mailexpire.com )? It uses date-driven logic.

When I was faced with several dozen spam mails per day (maybe more than 100/day) on my mail acount I used in usenet, I googled for disposable address services and checked each I found; mailexpire, jetable and sneakemail were among them.

But again, spamgourmet seems to be the only system that creates addresses without the need to fill out a form on the web for each new address. As I wrote, I want to use a system that works unlimited time but with a regulary changing address.

Currently, I use Spammotel for my usenet address, since I don't have any use for a automatically expiring address if it doesn't create a new one automatically, too: If I need to create a new one by visiting a web site, I can delete the old one at the same time.

josh wrote:I'm not trying sound pessimistic about the possiblity of us adding date driven logic :)

Well - telling that one doesn't want to sound pessimistic sounds pessimistic, doesn't it? :wink:
Sebastian

Postby geekmail » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:24 am

josh wrote:I'm not trying sound pessimistic about the possiblity of us adding date driven logic :) (we've already added support for it in the database)

Any news on this? This date-expiring feature would be great for spamgourmet.
geekmail

Return to General Discussion