Suggestion: ability to disable countdown

General discussion re sg.

Suggestion: ability to disable countdown

Postby bertg » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:04 pm

Has anyone suggested this one yet? Have a checkbox or something of that nature to disable the countdown on an address to make it 'permanent' until either what you're using it for is done or the spammers find the address. THis would obviate the need to keep adding allowed messages for things like mailing lists and emailed comics or updates, that sort of thing.
bertg

Postby josh » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:31 pm

We've resisted the temptation to allow an easy way to make an address permanent in order to benefit from the 'dead man switch' effect -- that way we don't get overwhelmed by abandoned accounts.

The general way to handle a mailing list is to use an exclusive or trusted sender. Do those not work in your situation?
josh

Perhaps a different approach?

Postby bertg » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:02 pm

I've had problems in the past with trusted senders as sometimes the sender name changes on mailing lists. Perhaps to preserve the effect you mention you could put in a timer instead, or perhaps in addition, to the countdown. Enable an address for 30 or 60 days, and email a reminder with a renew or update link in it as that time gets close to expiring. Mainly what I'm looking for is a way to not have to visit the site in order to keep things moving along, as that is the absolute best and most unique part of the service and it strongly appeals to my laziness.
bertg

Return to General Discussion