My 'recently deleted' shows a deleted WITHOUT a destination

General discussion re sg.

My 'recently deleted' shows a deleted WITHOUT a destination

Postby jbs » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:56 pm

I just logged in to SG and saw something very strange:

The most recent of my 3 recently deleted emails is a sender who is known and trusted to me. The address she sends to still has 20 remaining messages, and she sends as a trusted sender on my account. The listing (as shown in the screen capture above) does not show any spamgourmet address that she sent to. Is there any reason at all that that field should be blank? There is no other SG address that she would have sent to, by the way.

Furthermore, when I look at the alias she write to (re.20.myname@) it shows no messages deleted:

So 3 strange things here:

1. A message to a valid sg alias was deleted (I never got it)

2. The deletion message does not display the address to which it was sent.

3. The address to which it was sent and deleted does not show any deletions.

Any explanation?

--Jason

P.S. I have since tested by sending a message to myself at this address and it comes through properly.
jbs

I think I may have figured it out

Postby jbs » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:19 pm

I'm guessing that the symptoms above are what would happen if someone wrote to just myusername@xoxy.net.

I tried this out and sure enough my sending address showed up seconds later in the deletion log, without a destination alias.

Since these are not, never have been, and never will be valid SG email addresses, wouldn't it be more appropriate to bounce them back to their sender rather than treat them as you would a valid, but depleted SG address?

--Jason
jbs

Postby josh » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:56 am

we're not set up to bounce anything -- just eat :)
josh

Re: I think I may have figured it out

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:42 am

jbs wrote:I'm guessing that the symptoms above are what would happen if someone wrote to just myusername@xoxy.net.

I tried this out and sure enough my sending address showed up seconds later in the deletion log, without a destination alias.

Since these are not, never have been, and never will be valid SG email addresses, wouldn't it be more appropriate to bounce them back to their sender rather than treat them as you would a valid, but depleted SG address?

--Jason

Someone recently did exactly this (sent an email to just user@spamgourmet.com) and it was forwarded to me. This ended up creating a new address, using my default number. Given the sender was legit in my case, this turned out to be the preferred action for me.

The thing I noticed, though, is that you can't easily edit it in advanced mode. The address is shown in the table but there is nothing to click on. Looking at the HTML, there's a link that I can cut-and-paste but it might make sense to put something like "<none>" there to click on.

-- Mike

Postby SysKoll » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:20 am

So code change in the web interface: if the display string is nil, put "None" or such in it so that the HREF link has some text to be anchored to.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to General Discussion