Why can't we have a different 'number' for the same word?

General discussion re sg.

Why can't we have a different 'number' for the same word?

Postby username7 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:34 pm

I only realized the algorithm for mail-eating was different from what my impression was after I read the FAQ.
I'll use word.4.user atmark spamgourmet.com for this.
What my original idea was, this address is created with a count of 0. Then, if the incoming mail has a Number greater than this counter, it is accepted, and the counter is increased +1 (unless it's a trusted sender).

Then, an outsider would be able to send more mail after it filled up by sending to word.20.user atmark spamgourmet.com, because the counter would have remained at 4 after being filled, and since 20>4, it would be accepted.

The only potential weakness in this would be IF a spammer were "spamgourmet-savvy," and had a script to check for spamgourmet addresses, and alter the number to 20.
I just though this'd be more flexible than repeatedly refilling a word-number address that may have been myopically small-numbered initially. 'Course one could always create a new, set-to-20 word-number, but this is all about convenience eh?
Is that feasible?
username7

Never mind!

Postby username7 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:13 pm

Oh! I get it now. The Number is only an initializer for the number of emails to be accepted...but it can be set up to 20 no matter what the original number was...
*d'oh!*
so, nvm.
username7

Return to General Discussion