someword.user@spamgourmet.com

General discussion re sg.

someword.user@spamgourmet.com

Postby r1ch » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:46 am

Firstly, I'd just like to say that I think SpamGourmet rocks!! Thanks for providing such a great service!

I just discovered that you don't have to put a letter or number for the use count in the address - it defaults to 3. Is this an 'official' feature that we should use? I can't find mention of it anywhere. I think that this would be really useful as the extra dot + letter + number in the address often confuse people when giving addresses over the phone etc. Is it possible to change the default number of allowed replies? If not would it be possible to add this as a feature?

Thanks again,
Rich.
r1ch

Postby SysKoll » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:33 am

The default (hardcoded, I think) is three. We don't have a feature yet. Work-around: In advanced mode, you can always increase the counter for one of these 2-word addresses.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:49 am

SysKoll wrote:The default (hardcoded, I think) is three. We don't have a feature yet. Work-around: In advanced mode, you can always increase the counter for one of these 2-word addresses.

May you do a feature to setting default for 2-word address?
I think is not so hard to do it.
I hate number into middle :-)

TIA
Rob

Postby jbs » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:39 pm

SysKoll wrote:The default (hardcoded, I think) is three. We don't have a feature yet. Work-around: In advanced mode, you can always increase the counter for one of these 2-word addresses.

another workaround is to just send yourself a message to anyword.20.yourname@ . . . before you give out the address. That will set it to 20.

Keep in mind that this will set the alias for that address permanently to x.20.x@, so if you use the feature of sending messages FROM the sg website, you'll not want to use my workaround. I always send my mail from my own email service, so I don't care so much what SG lists the alias as.
jbs

Postby sarahwbs » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:03 pm

Another suggestion for making "nicer looking" spamgourmet addresses (i.e. without the number) is to use this:

whoever.to.myusername@xoxy.net

This starts the counter at 20, and it kinda makes sense, like "whoever is sending email to username at spamgourmet.com".

And I like using xoxy.net, cause it doesn't include the word spam, and it's shorter to type :)
sarahwbs

Postby xdcdx » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:30 pm

I will not miss this opportunity to remind that an option for change address exemplars (or really deleting addresses) is still wanted :)

Sorry if I'm annoying ^^U
xdcdx

Thanks!

Postby Fracture » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:17 am

sarahwbs wrote:whoever.to.myusername@xoxy.net

Nice! Thanks for this simple and useful idea.
Fracture

Postby yuting » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:51 pm

Is this two word default to 3 a confirmed feature?

By reading the source code, the following seems to suggest if there aren't enough dots (.) then there will be no match.

if ($musername =~ /(.+)\.(.+)\.(.+)\.(.+)/) {
($mprefix,$mword,$mcount,$musername) = ($1,$2,$3,$4);
} elsif ($musername =~ /(.+)\.(.+)\.(.+)/) {
($mword,$mcount,$musername) = ($1,$2,$3);
}

However it does seem to work and have the default of 3. Can anyone confirm that this is guaranteed to work please?
yuting

Postby josh » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:29 pm

here's the most recent code:

Code: Select all
  my $delimiters = $config->getDelimiters();
  if ($musername =~ /(.+)[$delimiters](.+)[$delimiters](.+)[$delimiters](.+)/) {
    ($mprefix,$mword,$mcount,$musername) = ($1,$2,$3,$4);
  } elsif ($musername =~ /(.+)[$delimiters](.+)[$delimiters](.+)/) {
    ($mword,$mcount,$musername) = ($1,$2,$3);
  } elsif ($musername =~ /(.+)[$delimiters](.+)/) {
    ($mword,$musername) = ($1,$2);
  }

and then

Code: Select all
sub getNumberFromString {
  my $self = shift;
  my $str = shift;
  my $default = shift;
  $default = 3 if !$default; #default default of 3
  return $default if !$str;
  if ($str =~ /^\d*$/ || $str eq '*' || $str eq '+' || $str =~ /sender/i || $str =~ /domain/i) {
    return $str;
  }
  my $code = ord($str);
  if ($code > 96 && $code < 123) {
    return $code - 96;
  } elsif ($code > 64 && $code < 91) {
    return $code - 64;
  } else {
    return $default;
  }
}

So, the code is in good shape to accept a user default -- we need to add a column to the database table to store it, though.
josh

Postby yuting » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:03 am

Cool. I thought it must have been updated otherwise it wouldn't work. :)

What would be cool is to let the user change default number - or just set it to 20 by default?

Also an extended feature could be to assign trusted sender by sending mail command to sg, but that'll be another thread... :p
yuting

Postby josh » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:32 am

ok - default number is up and it's in cvs -- you can set it in advanced mode.
josh

Postby jbs » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:16 am

josh wrote:ok - default number is up and it's in cvs -- you can set it in advanced mode.

Cool!! I just went and changed it, and now don't need to worry about missing anything when I sign up for something new and don't get right over to SG to change it. 20 will give me some breathing room :lol: :lol: :D :D
jbs

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:19 pm

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see the option to set the default on the advanced page.

Postby josh » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:29 pm

It's below the "send a message from one of your disposable addresses" link, which is below the list of trusted senders and watchwords.
josh

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:49 pm

Thanks for the quick response and also thanks a million for spamgourmet.

That option isn't displaying for me. I've running Windows XP SP1 and tried using IE 6 and Firefox with normal and secure login. It's just not there.

Next

Return to General Discussion