[Weird problem with gmail] gmail -> my sg address -> g

General discussion re sg.

[Weird problem with gmail] gmail -> my sg address -> g

Postby xdcdx » Tue May 18, 2004 8:15 pm

Hello,

I was doing some test with SpamGourmet and GMail and came accross a very weird problem.

Currently my SG account points to my GMail address. Given that, if I send mail from that GMail address to any of my SG addresses, the SG count decreases but the email does not arrive, at the same time I CC the message to another email account, sg-less, and it arrives there.

Might this be related to the mailing list problem?

That does not happen with my old email provider 'terra', neither with 'hotmail'.

I don't know if emails sent from other gmail accounts arrive. If anybody else got GMail, leave a reply and I will private message you with one of my SG addresses so we can test.

Weird stuff...
Josh: If you tell me that this might be GMail's fault I can submit a report to them.

Best regards,
xDCDx
xdcdx

Postby josh » Wed May 19, 2004 12:08 am

get me a gmail account, and I'll check it out :)

Seriously, I'll have a look.
josh

Postby xdcdx » Wed May 19, 2004 7:45 am

If you need the SG address I sent the test emails to, tell me and I will message you with it.

Sorry, I don't have any gmail invites :P
It's a really great mail service, I hope it goes public soon.

Best regards,
xDCDx
xdcdx

Postby josh » Wed May 19, 2004 6:32 pm

ok - can you successfully send a message to an sg address from somewhere *other* than gmail and have it arrive at gmail?

Does gmail have spam filtering active? If so, can you check into that?
josh

Postby xdcdx » Wed May 19, 2004 7:20 pm

To the first question, yeah I have tried it and they arrive.

To the second one, I am pretty sure it is not that. Gmail's spam filter can't be disabled, but they send the spam to a folder with the same name, I checked and nothing is there.

I'm yet trying to find somebody else with GMail to see if messages sent from other GMail addresses arrive.
xdcdx

Postby xdcdx » Wed May 19, 2004 10:16 pm

I found somebody with a Gmail account and I have been testing more.

Mails sent from his address to my SG account arrive perfectly.

I think the problem mentioned above is due the way Gmail stores sent messages. It seems that sent messages are stored along normal messages, because Gmail's does not really uses folders, it uses labels. That means that a message can be stored in several 'labels' at the same time (unlike folders). Because of this, when you send a message, it both appears in the 'all mail' and 'sent messages' sections.

When you send a message from Gmail to your own Gmail account (no SG involvement), only one message is stored, but it gets labeled as 'sent' and 'inbox' (it appears in three places, 'sent', 'inbox' and 'all mail').

So, when you send an email from Gmail to a SG account pointing the same Gmail account, I don't know what exactly happens, only the outgoing mail is stored, but the message that arrives a few moments later redirected from SG is not stored. Maybe Gmail sees that there is a similar message (the one with the label 'sent'), a message that has the same senders, recipients and body (only changing the subject and message headers), but it won't neither store the new one nor mark the already stored one with the 'inbox' label.

I even tried sending the email, and immediately deleting the one with the 'sent' label (the only one) from gmail, but the redirected one did not arrive anyway.

It is actually pretty unimportant (who would want to send messages to oneself through SG?), but I am going to send a report with this issue to Gmail just in case.

Best regards,
xDCDx
xdcdx

It might be their scanning

Postby spameater » Fri May 21, 2004 7:44 am

As you know, G-Mail scans every word in your email so that it can serve up relevant Ads based on the content.

I might be due to their scanning and that is one reason I will not use G-Mail. I hope this scanning idea doesn't set a precendence for other providers.

Of course we will never know who is buying all the Google stocks and eventually controlling our online activities.

G-Mail is potentially subject to SERIOUS abuse. :(
spameater

Postby xdcdx » Sat May 22, 2004 2:13 am

I'm really annoyed by all the people who continues spreading these claims, without stopping to think a bit before doing it.

What do you guys think, that yahoo and hotmail does not scan our incoming mail? They do! Every free mail service provider with a spam filter does it. And usually, either the spam gets unnoticed or legitimal messages get black-hole-deleted when mistaken by spam.

Microsoft is an evil company, that does not care for their users, and that is trying to destroy Linux and Open Source by menas funding absurd companies like SCO (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/05/18/1358206&mode=thread&tid=133&tid=186&tid=187&tid=88) or the Alexis de Tocqueville Institution (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/05/17/112218&mode=thread&tid=109&tid=126&tid=163&tid=187).

On the other Google always have *tried* to do the right think, their webpages are user friendly and free of invasive ads. And I trust they will continue with this trend. I am not an economy expert, but their IPO was a kind of one in which Google owners' shares are 10 times more valuable than public shares, so nobody can control the company by buying 51% of shares.

Just visit www.hotmail.com and www.gmail.com, at first sight, I can see who is the trusty company. 'Get bikini perfect in just 6 days' ads? I don't need to see further.
Everybody non-tech savvy I know that has e-mail, has a Hotmail account, that is the wrong thing. I would rather send 1 Gigabyte of my correspondence to Google than 2 Megabytes to Microsoft.

The only real problem that I see with Gmail, it's when everybody starts migrating from Hotmail to Gmail, and given that they don't delete emails, Google has such a large information that is a good target for subpoenas or evil legislation. Solutions to this would be encriptions so Google can't access this information, and just the owner of the account can. And I'm sure Google is concerned about user privacy and will try to protect it. (For an elaborated essay on this and other real Gmail concerns, check here: http://www.templetons.com/brad/gmail.html)

Really, Gmail does just the same of other free email providers, but just better.

And no, my problem almost surely isn't from Gmail's mesage scanning.
xdcdx

Postby xdcdx » Thu May 27, 2004 6:57 pm

Gmail got back to me regarding this problem, that's what they said:

The message you sent to yourself through SpamGourmet should appear in the
'Sent Mail' section of your account. The reason the message never shows in
your inbox is because the original message was sent by you, and is
ultimately addressed to you. Gmail does not place self-addressed duplicate
emails in your account. Since you sent the message, you will not receive
one addressed to you.

If the email was not successfully delivered, you will receive an error
message in your inbox.

I disagree with their criteria, because if one message has a different subject, it is a different message in my opinion.

But anyway, we Gmail users will have to bear with this almost completely harmless bug.

Best regards,
xDCDx
xdcdx

Return to General Discussion