Spamgourmet friendly e-mail clients?

General discussion re sg.

Spamgourmet friendly e-mail clients?

Postby bill1000 » Sun May 16, 2004 5:26 pm

Are there any e-mail clients that "play well" with Spamgourmet? I use Eudora for e-mail and Outlook Express for news viewing and neither one makes it easy to create return addresses on the fly.
bill1000

Postby Robmonster » Sun May 16, 2004 7:17 pm

I use Outlook Express 6.

All I have done is create a new account with a dummy pop3 server but with the proper smtp server address, using the SG format email address. Set the account to NOT be included in normal send/receive.

All you then need to do change the sendig account when sending your email. To change the SG address it uses you just go back into the Account setup and amend it.

Works fine for me.

RM
Robmonster

Postby xylophonia » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:12 pm

Robomonster

I cannot make head nor tail of your reply here. I too would like to use OE with a spamgourmet address. If that is what you describe, and you read this 5 months later, I would be grateful if you would elucidate what you say here in idiot language so that even I can understand
xylophonia

Postby Robmonster » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:47 pm

I use Outlook Express 6, and here is what I did.

Go to Tools --> Accounts.

Click Add then Mail.

Type in whatever name you want to display in your outgoing emails, then click Next. Under the email address put a Spam gourmet address.

On the next screen enter whatever details are relevant for your email provider. I usually put an intentionally incorrect address in the Pop3 server box, just so that I will not download all my emails twice. you may not need to worry about that depending on how your normal email account is set up. Anyway......

Next up is your email account name and password that you should already have.

One thats done, highlight your newly created account in the list, and select Properties. At the bottom uncheck the box that says something like "Include this account when receiving mail." You can also use this section to change the previously entered email address.

Now, when you want to send using that email address, compose your email as normal. Before sending the mail, change the account listed in the From box at the very top to the new account you just created. Now, the email will get sent out using the Spamgourmet address and your recipient will be none the wiser.

RM
Robmonster

Postby xylophonia » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:43 pm

Great stuff

Many thanks, appreciated
xylophonia

Postby josh » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:27 pm

If you you "reply address masking", it shouldn't matter which email client you use -- only if you want to send the first email from a spamgourmet address, you need to go to the sg website to get the special masked forwarding address.
josh

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:42 pm

There is a tiny program called QuickMailer from www.pyric.org which is perfect for this.

Postby jiminalaska » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:18 pm

I'm using Thunderbird v0.8 successfully for email with spamgourmet.
jiminalaska

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:02 pm

Q. Can I use spamgourmet as my mail server for incoming or outgoing mail?
A. No. Try to put this thought out of your mind.

I'm confused, are we allowed to setup an outgoing server to spamgourmet.com or not?

Postby lwc » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:46 pm

Spamgourmet neither lets you get or send messages (in technical talk: neither POP nor SMTP servers).

All it does is make up addresses.
But not only can it make up addresses to replace your real one, it can also give your friends addresses.

Those special addresses are only meant for you. You shouldn't tell your friends about them. All those addresses do is take your message to Spamgourmet, which will replace the from header with your Spamgourmet address.

Let's say your friend is friend@friends.com .
He sends you messages to friend.yourname@spamgourmet.com
His Spamgourmet address would be something like +friend+yourname+gibberish.friend#frien ... ourmet.com
Don't be scared by the long name. All you have to do is click reply whenever someone sends you something and it'll be automatically used (assuming you turned on "reply masking"). Then again, you can always log on your account to see those addresses.

Anyway, if you send a message from your@real.address to the one above, then eventually your friend will get a message to his real address, but from friend.yourname@spamgourmet.com (as opposed to your@real.address).
lwc

Postby Mysticturner » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:41 am

Taking this line of thought a bit further...
I've been reading a bunch and am looking at the following concept. Please tell me if I'm incorrect in my thinking. I'm moving to a new email account and don't want to give the address to anyone. Everyone will get a spamgourmet address. I should be able to create an address for my friends (using the example above) of friend.yourname@spamgourmet.com by sending an email to that address. It will have a use count = default (20 in my case). Now I can go send an email to my friend using the send email from this address function which would create the +friend+yourname+gibberish.friend#frien ... ourmet.com address. In addition, I can list this person as a trusted sender. Now he/she can send all the email they want to me. Additionally, I can update my email address book with the long gibberish name for my friend. I can send all I want to him/her. My friend never gets to see my real address.

Now for the step further: I think I can also send to friend #2 (through N), doing the same thing. They all see me as friend.yourname@spamgourmet.com. I get to use the one address for everyone. I can setup a similar, different address for church friends for example.

I just have to watch for new items coming in with the count field specified to determine if I need to add this person to the trusted list.
Mysticturner

Postby SysKoll » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:31 am

That's correct. The masked address (with a # in the middle) does the mapping between your friend's email address and your sg address. Your friend will only see the sg address. You email your friend to the masked address.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:02 pm

Yes, that's all correct -- the only thing to note is that you must generate a unique redirection address for each friend (that is, you can't make those up yourself because the gibberish portion is important). You can use the web interface ("send from a disposable address") functionality to generate the redirection address, or you can just give your friend the disposable address, and the redirection address (and the disposable address) will be recreated when your friend uses the disposable address the first time.
josh

Postby TerDale » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:16 am

Something I'm wondering is, are those redirection addresses (with the so-called gibberish in the middle) persistent? I mean: if I store one, would I be able to use it later on, let's say days, weeks or even months after?

Thanks in advance

Jean-Marc
TerDale

Postby SysKoll » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:43 pm

Yes, Jean-Marc, they are persistent.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Next

Return to General Discussion