[Request] Option to disable (xxxx: message x of xx) in subj.

General discussion re sg.

Postby Paranoid2000 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:46 pm

How about placing the counter notification within the From: field? This would be displayed by all email clients, should not break threads and would avoid having to parse the message body.

The key thing here would be to modify the user name while leaving the sender email address untouched.
Paranoid2000

Postby V-Man » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:45 am

Paranoid2000 wrote:How about placing the counter notification within the From: field? This would be displayed by all email clients, should not break threads and would avoid having to parse the message body.

The key thing here would be to modify the user name while leaving the sender email address untouched.

Hmm, not sure about that one. Would seem a bit strange to me personally. But it's another idea...
V-Man

Postby JohnC » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:07 pm

Just to reiterate my personal wants on this functionality...

1 - For no brainer mode, I think the current functionality is fine. New users need to be aware of the way SG counts down, and what special senders originated the message.

2 - For advanced mode, I would like a way to make the message go away from my normal viewing. I know the rules for counting down messages, I know the trusted senders and I know the exclusive senders. I simply don't want this extra information easily found in my messages. In a perfect world, I would be able to turn this extra info on and off on a per email basis.
Example: jokelist.sgname@spamgourmet.com has extra info off
sleazycarsalesman.sgname@spamgourmet.com has extra info on.

This may not be the overall endgoal of others, but it is mine. My suggestion on Feb 15 was an example of a particular implimentation to get me to that endgoal. May the SG gods smile upon us all. :)
JohnC

Postby Sebastian » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:29 pm

josh wrote:Adding the message to the message body would pose some development (and performance) challenge to us because we'd have to evaluate multi-part MIME messages in a special way to make sure that we're changing the right part

I've had a problem with another disposable mail service which adds a note to the body (I think it was Kasmail). Once I got an email which main body (not attachment!) was base64 encoded. But the note was added anyway. Luckily I know about rfc2045 and I am able to use my mail client, so I was able to recover the message.
Another point: Even if the mail is not base64 (or quoted-printable), could one really assume that any possible charset used by anyone will be downwards compatible to us-ascii?
Does every mail really require a text/* part, or can I send a "attachment" only message?

Modifying the body seems really dangerous to me. It will surely work just fine for 99.9% of all events, but it may fail some day.
Sebastian

Postby rdigqd » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:50 pm

further to my post yesterday or the day before, it occurred to
me (while painting a basement floor <G>) that there might be
another argument (besides the esthetics, requirement to
modify replys and assumed privacy of the e-mail contents
issues) for NOT putting the "x of yy' or "trusted" info in
the msg body ....

What about msgs sent encrypted (eg PGP, etc.)??

Seems to me ... though I am most definitiely _not_ a techno-whiz
in this particular arena ... that adding text might well "break"
the msg and make it unreadable (or set off other 'alarms') when
it get to the recipient cuz any checksums would be nackered.
(i.e.: the receiving-end client would say "Warning! Danger Will Robinson!! This msg has been modified!!!)

Again, use of X-Spamgourment headers seems most preferable
and least intrusive (to me).
rdigqd

Keep it simple...

Postby Florian » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:51 pm

Hi all,

I think SG should be kept simple.
I like the suggestion of keeping the setting as it is at the moment for the "no-brainer mode", but adding additional header-fields (the 4 suggested above) would not affect a newbie-user, so this could be done generally.
Additionally I would like to see the option of enabling/disabling the subject-information in "advanced mode" for every mail (-> keep it simple).
An advanced user can then add rules based on the header in his mail-client to set a flag when the remaining-message-number falls below x (which is possible in outlook for example).

Just my opinion, but I think this would not be to much programming effort and easy to understand.
Regards,
Florian[/b]
Florian

Postby josh » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:47 pm

OK -- we've been talking about it for so long that I figured we could make *some* progress -- there's currently a new feature setting that makes it so that the subject tagline stops going in the subject and starts going in an X-Spamgourmet header, that is:

without feature:

Subject: test (testmsg: message 1 of 3)

with feature:

Subject: test
X-Spamgourmet: (testmsg: message 1 of 3)

Currently, the feature setting is not accesible from the website -- if anyone wants this turned on, let me know.
josh

Postby xdcdx » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:31 pm

At least! :D

Please, enable this for me, my username is xdcdx. Thanks.
xdcdx

count me in! (trusted sender for this address)

Postby DyNama » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:10 pm

yes, please put the msg count in x-headers for my account, "dynama".

i'm sure many email users do not check headers, but i look at it all the time, most often trying to figure out how that piece of spam ended up in my inbox when it isn't even addressed to me! :roll:

thanx so much for spamgourmet, it has saved me from thousands of unsolicited bulk emails. :D
DyNama

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:34 pm

I would like this too!

I have just signed up, and I don't like subjects to change - so this is great news (I was unhappy when I saw, that subjects DID change).

My username is "laxxe" - thanks alot!

Postby xdcdx » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:12 pm

I don't mean to be annoying, but I am still waiting... 8)
xdcdx

Postby JohnC » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:13 pm

I PMed earlier to be on the list of folks who can turn this option on. Did my request not get through or is the option not ready to be tested?

JohnC
JohnC

Postby josh » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:39 pm

ok -- I think I got everybody. If I missed you, send me a PM or an email to info
josh

Postby xdcdx » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:36 am

I think it's not working for me, '(com: trusted sender for your account)' messages still appear on my subjects.
xdcdx

Postby josh » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:15 pm

oops -- I think I got your account now
josh

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion