[Request] Option to disable (xxxx: message x of xx) in subj.

General discussion re sg.

[Request] Option to disable (xxxx: message x of xx) in subj.

Postby xdcdx » Mon May 10, 2004 11:04 am

Hello,

I would like to request a feature:
- Option to disable or customize the '(xxxx: message x of xx)' text bit that gets added to forwarded messages.

Costimization of the text piece would be great, for example '(sgaccount)' rather than '(sgaccount: message 1 of 20)'

Disabling this could be useful for clearer message sorting and storage of emails sent to addresses that you refill constantly. (It sucks to have stored several emails ending in '(sgaccount: message 1 of 20)')

Thsi could also (although it is not likely) mess with gmail's search capabilities between a large amount of emails.

Best regards,
xDCDx, the happy sg user
xdcdx

Postby openmacnews » Fri May 14, 2004 5:04 pm

a real "ditto" on this ...

if i forget to DELETE the "(... addressesd to ...)" stuff in a usente reply, folks get rather steamed abt it!

this would be a real "nice to have"

richard
openmacnews

Postby josh » Sat May 15, 2004 6:17 pm

adding an option to turn off subject tagging altogether would be pretty straightforward -- adding one to customize (or even "lighten" it) would be doable, but more complex.

If you had the option to turn it off completely, how much additional value would you attach to being able to customize or shorten it?
josh

Postby xdcdx » Sun May 16, 2004 1:41 am

Thanks for answering.

Yeah, I see the problem with customization. I personally would be happy with just an option for disabling it.

But maybe several options could be offered like all or some of these:
--- mail from truster sender
--- mail not from truster sender
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- long mode (only mode offered currently)
--- (spamgourmet.com: trusted sender for your account)
--- (address_word: message 1 of 3)
- short mode with numbering
--- (address_word: trusted)
--- (address_word: 1 of 3)
- short mode without numbering
--- (address_word: trusted)
--- (address_word: not trusted)
- very short mode, addresses
--- (address_word)
--- (address_word)
- very short mode, trustedness
--- (trusted)
--- (not trusted)
- completely disabled

Several options should be easier to implement that complete customization, shouldn't it?.

Best regards,
xDCDx
xdcdx

Postby xdcdx » Sun May 16, 2004 3:15 pm

I just discovered another good reason for the option of disabling this. It breaks the 'conversation threading' feature in google's gmail.

For example: I sent a mail with "Email subject" as subject.
Then when they reply it says "Re: Email subject (address_word: message 1 of 20)" so it won't don't thread along the first message. If the conversation continues, "Re: Email subject (address_word: message 2 of 20)" won't thread to the second one either.

If this were disabled, all messages with subject "Email subject" or "RE: Email subject" are threadt together.

Best regards,
xDCDx
xdcdx

how about disabling on an address-by-address basis?

Postby jbs » Tue May 18, 2004 3:37 am

josh wrote:adding an option to turn off subject tagging altogether would be pretty straightforward -- adding one to customize (or even "lighten" it) would be doable, but more complex.

If you had the option to turn it off completely, how much additional value would you attach to being able to customize or shorten it?

I'd say that being able to disable it would be pretty handy -- my first choice would be to be able to disable it on an address by address basis. There are only a few SG addresses where I regularly correspond with humans -- for these I would turn it off. But for the SG addresses where I am getting messages from newsletters and mailing lists, and rarely replying, I would leave it on.

Would enable/disable on an address-by-address basis be complex?
jbs

Status

Postby john » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:32 pm

I am a newbie to reading these forums. Was any decision made on disabling the "(Message x of Y)" messages? I would also like to add that it would be nice to suppress when receiving from a trusted or exclusive sender.

I use this to protect my cell phone address, and I get SMS messages. shoterning the SG verbage means I get more message before it gets cut off.

john
john

Status

Postby NewUser27 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:12 pm

Any update on when this feature may be available?
I've held off on using spamgourmet with my Gmail account because of this.

Thanks.
NewUser27

Postby SysKoll » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:47 pm

Not yet, not yet.

I am not as helpful as I would like because of a huge work surge and I cannot spend as much time coding for sg as before, so Josh is basically alone.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:59 pm

Don't worry, we still love you.

Postby gchaowu » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:57 pm

Maybe an option to move "(xxxx: message x of xx)" to a header, say, "X-spamgourmet: xxxx: message x of xx" would be even better and simpler to code?

You can always see the full header by clicking on "Full Headers" in Yahoo Mail, "Show Original" in Gmail, or "Options" in Outlook.
gchaowu

Postby Vik » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:06 am

Just want to add my vote for this feature. I too find it a nuisance with Gmail in particular.

I would like it to be disabled for email from exclusive/trusted senders.

If I could disable the subject-munging for exclusive senders, I would also want to disable it for all senders - until the remaining message count dropped to a low number, worthy of my attention. IMO the optimum number would be 3. If I subscribe to a mailing list, for example, I don't specify a number in my email address and so the message count is initialised to my default of 10. When I get the first 1 or 2 emails, I examine them and set the exclusive sender accordingly (sometimes the full address, sometimes just part of the domain, it depends). This additional control would therefore enable me to sort out my exclusive sender configuration before I get a munged email.

PLEASE can we have this facility soon - it's one of only 2 annoyances I have with using your brilliant service.
Vik

Postby V-Man » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:37 am

Last post was from me, forgot to log in. Posting again to enable reply notification :)
V-Man

Postby SysKoll » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:31 pm

Yes, we discussed that feature before. Spamgourmet counter notifications are important for people who have a counter running down to zero on a useful disposable, so these users want to see the xx of yy message.

I think the consensus we reached was that we could optionally put that notification in the first line of the message body instead of the subject. Would that solve your trouble?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby V-Man » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:12 pm

SysKoll wrote:Yes, we discussed that feature before. Spamgourmet counter notifications are important for people who have a counter running down to zero on a useful disposable, so these users want to see the xx of yy message.

I think the consensus we reached was that we could optionally put that notification in the first line of the message body instead of the subject. Would that solve your trouble?

That would certainly be preferable to polluting the subject line. I don't think it would particularly bother me if the message was at the top of the body instead, it's much easier to ignore that way.

Is that something you can easily activate on my account, or is this a wishlist item for the future? If the former, I'd be grateful if you could do this for my account (username: vikshah).

Thanks again for the great service you provide.
V-Man

Next

Return to General Discussion