email from trusted senders still decreasing message count

General discussion re sg.

email from trusted senders still decreasing message count

Postby sarahwbs » Fri May 07, 2004 4:03 pm

I am subscribed to a couple of mailing lists where I have added the sender's email to my trusted senders, and yet when I receive the newsletters, the message count is still decreasing. I'm not sure if I should post further details here... Any help would be appreciated.

Sarah
sarahwbs

Postby SysKoll » Fri May 07, 2004 9:05 pm

Try to put the domain of the sender as a trusted sender.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby sarahwbs » Mon May 10, 2004 5:40 pm

Thanks - I added the domain for one of these senders as a trusted domain, so now I just have to wait and see if it works the next time they send a message.

However, for the other address, the domain is ntlworld.com, which seems to be an ISP, so I don't really want to add that domain. Is there any reason that the email would cause the message count to go down even though I've added the email address as a trusted sender?
sarahwbs

Postby sarahwbs » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:53 pm

I'm having this problem again with another newsletter. I tried first adding the whole address as a trusted sender, but still the count decreased when messages were forwarded, so I changed the trusted sender to just the domain, and still the count decreases. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks!

Sarah
sarahwbs

Postby SysKoll » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:56 pm

Try to add the posting address of the list as a trusted sender. E.g., if you send an email to list@example.com to post a message on the list, you'd add that address as a trusted sender.

Let us know how it works for you.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby sarahwbs » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:28 pm

Actually, it's a newsletter, not a mailing list. :)
sarahwbs

Postby sarahwbs » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:10 pm

I've been thinking of using the "exclusive sender" feature to try to make sure these emails from trusted senders don't decrease the message count (I still have two newsletters for which this is happening, despite adding the senders as trusted senders). But I'm a bit worried about what would happen if I got a message from a different address for one of these newsletters; for example, let's say I normally get messages from info@email.com but once I got something from news@email.com (I've encountered similar situations in the past). If I've set up info@email.com as the exclusive sender, I won't get the message from news@email.com. Is there a way to add trusted (rather than exclusive) senders for a particular account?

Thanks,

Sarah
sarahwbs

Postby jbs » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:09 pm

sarahwbs wrote:I've been thinking of using the "exclusive sender" feature to try to make sure these emails from trusted senders don't decrease the message count (I still have two newsletters for which this is happening, despite adding the senders as trusted senders). But I'm a bit worried about what would happen if I got a message from a different address for one of these newsletters; for example, let's say I normally get messages from info@email.com but once I got something from news@email.com (I've encountered similar situations in the past). If I've set up info@email.com as the exclusive sender, I won't get the message from news@email.com. Is there a way to add trusted (rather than exclusive) senders for a particular account?

Thanks,

Sarah

I've always felt like "exclusive" sender was actually a bit of a misnomer. It's exclusive only in the sense that it's trusted "exclusively" for that address. So it's another form of trusted sender, but one just for that address.

What this means is that as long as the address is not depleted (count down to zero) you will continue to get messages from anyone sending to that address. But your exclusive sender (whether a specific address or an entire domain) will not decrease the remaining count.

The difference between exclusive sender and trusted sender is that if joe@email.com is an exclusive sender for your address joeslist.20.myname@spamgourmet.com, then joe can write to you at your joeslist address without decreasing the count, but if he writes to you at another of your spamgourmet addresses, he WILL decrease the count. If joe@email.com were a *trusted* sender instead, then he would not decrease the count regardless of which of your addresses he wrote to.

--Jason
jbs

Postby sarahwbs » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:47 pm

I have some progress to report on this issue (some good, some bad). The solution of adding the troublesome trusted senders as exclusive senders instead was a good idea. I set that up, and the problem is now fixed -- but only for one of the two addresses I was having this problem with :)

Further to this problem, I've just signed up for another mailing list and added the domain name as an exclusive sender, which for the most part is working, except that one out of ten messages I've received so far did actually decrese my count. I didn't see anything obviously different about that one message to cause it to be treated differently...
sarahwbs

Postby josh » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:43 pm

In that one message that decreased the count, was the mail address in the CC: rather than the To:?
josh

Postby sarahwbs » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:08 am

It's now up to 4 out of 35 messages. In 2 of these, the address was in the CC header, but in the other 2, it was in the To header.
sarahwbs

Return to General Discussion