Allow creation of email IDs at the website

General discussion re sg.

Allow creation of email IDs at the website

Postby vsp » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:04 am

Hi,

My usage of the watchwords has been as a prevention tool for creation of email IDs for me by sending me an email. Whenever I need to create an email ID for some company/entity, I usuallly have access to the Internet.

In such cases, I have to
1. log in to SG
2. Disable watchwords/prefixes and the like
3. Send myself an email to the new SG ID i wish to create/
4. Reenable watchwords/prefixes in advanced mode.

Would it be possible to require only step 1 to create a new ID by means of a text box that just says "Create new ID" or some such thing? Of course, the currentl method of creating IDs by sending email to the new ID would continue to be valid
vsp

Postby maratheamit » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:46 am

Why not use the watchword feature when giving out a new email address and save yourself all the trouble? i.e. whenever you have to create a new address do so in the watchword format and you won't have to manually disable/enable the prefix feature.

Each watchword is treated as a regular expression, so you can do elaborate matching using those. e.g. "(.).*\1" will match any word which begins and ends with the same character. Using a pattern such as this should be much safer than a plain watchword which is susceptible to a "superstring" attack (any superstring of a watchword is an acceptable prefix in new addresses).
maratheamit

Postby vsp » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:22 pm

maratheamit wrote:Why not use the watchword feature when giving out a new email address and save yourself all the trouble? i.e. whenever you have to create a new address do so in the watchword format and you won't have to manually disable/enable the prefix feature.

That is the whole point. It is more trouble long term to live with IDs that match my regex and not the name of the person/company I am creating the ID for.

For example, let us say I want to give you my email ID. I want to be able to say my ID is exactly "maratheamit.2.vsp@spamgourmet.com" without going through the regex contortions.

As I described in my post, my SG usage pattern has been such that every time I needed to create and ID/provide someone a new ID, I had access to spamgourmet.com. So, I would like the simple method of being able to create the above ID without going through all the steps I mentioned in my lase post.

Of course, I have a couple of regexes provisioned and on the rare occasions I don't have access to the SG site, I can always create a new ID on the fly and give it to someone and live with not being able to get it to look exactly the way I want
vsp

Postby maratheamit » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:13 am

OK. I now see your point: remembering all the addresses you create can be hard if you are using watchwords.

It should be quite simple to add the functionality you suggest. There are a few other things (like some anit-abuse measures) that we may probably get to first..
maratheamit

Postby josh » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:37 am

you can use the "send from" feature to create a new address - if you're not concerned with the recipient, just put some junk in that field, then fill in a word and a number and click the button and you'll see:

Use this address to send a message to fda

+newtestaddress+josh+75b63f0417.fda@spamgourmet.com

that will be from your disposable address newtestaddress.20.josh@recursor.net <- (this is the new address

Just ignore the first part and look at the new address, which will have been created without regard to prefix or watchword protection
josh

Postby vsp » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:58 pm

josh wrote:you can use the "send from" feature to create a new address - if you're not concerned with the recipient, just put some junk in that field, then fill in a word and a number and click the button

Perfect!!! That is exactly what I was asking for - Thanks a lot!!!
vsp

Return to General Discussion