address removal or deleting account

General discussion re sg.

address removal or deleting account

Postby Icfu » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:53 pm

Hi there,

I'd like to see a removal possibility for email addresses I have no use for anymore because I am not planning to reactivate them one day. Just hiding all of them would result in lost oversight between the temporarily hidden and the completely unneeded addresses.

As an alternative I'd like to see a possibility to completely reset or delete my account so I can rebuild my sg address database with the same nick.

TIA

Icfu
Icfu

Postby SysKoll » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:02 pm

See this thread: http://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.php?t=185
The problem is that deleting an address in SG database does not help if the address is compromised (that is, included in a spammer's list). I'm not sure about how to solve that one. We can delete accounts that haven't been used in a long time, but I'm not sure how we could selectively purge individual disposables.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Icfu » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:56 pm

I have read that thread before posting. I am aware of the problem that deleted addresses will be rebuilt automatically when another mail arrives at the deleted address, no way to circumvent that, I know.

But, my request has nothing to do with compromissed email addresses. It's just a cosmetical one in my case.

I would just like to have another option to put addresses completely out of sight so I don't even see them on the hidden list, call it "completely hidden" instead of "disabled" if you like.

So, I'd like to have three options:
1. show address
2. hide address
3. completely hide address (till another mail arrives)

I hope it's clearer now... ;)

Icfu
Icfu

Postby SysKoll » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:45 pm

That's introducing an extra complexity for little benefit.

How about this: If a hidden address has not been used (receiving mail) for 12 months, we purge it from the database. It's then effectively deleted from the system.

Would such a feature be a good compromise for your requirements?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:35 am

Automatical deletion after time x is a very good compromise if x is variable or at least <12 months.
x=12 months isn't because it's way too long for my taste. It doesn't matter if I lose oversight forever or for 12 months imho. I could live with something like x=3 months to see the mess disappear. ;)

Well, if I see it right it's just too much work to add an extra hide option, no problem.

Whenever I feel that the unused addresses are overwhelming me, I'll open up another spamgourmet account and disregard my current one.

Thx for support

Icfu

Return to General Discussion